Chapter 5

"Baby!" Jillian exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Margo's waist. "I'm so glad to see you!"

The familiar feel of her mother's embrace sent Margo into tears. Of course, her parents only laughed and smiled as Margo recounted the story.

"I was so scared, Ivan," she told her dad. "I didn't know what to do."

But her father wasn't interested in her escapade. He asked, "When will your Implant be?"

A lead ball dropped in Margo's stomach. "December 21."

Surprise was a neutral emotion, which meant both Implanted and Nonimplanted could feel it. But her parents showed none. If anything, they were relaxed and at ease. It made Margo want to rip her hair out.

"We're moving to Pureville," Jillian announced, filling the awkward silence.

"What? Why?" Her parents were leaving her only home she'd ever felt comfortable in? They were leaving behind all the memories? Last time she did a holochat with Ivan, she noticed there wasn't a single holoture of Margo left in the house. Where they leaving behind the house or Margo?

"My friend, Tatum, moved with her husband to Pureville last week. When I talked to her, she said it was such a lovely neighborhood," said Jillian.

"We were going to move to New Pureville, but apparently that's only for the newly Implanted." Ivan smiled. "We're so excited to see the new house."

"Will you send holotures?" Margo requested.

Her parents shared a look and grinned.

"We've been thinking that it'd be best for you to get out on your own, Scummy," Ivan said. 'Scummy' had been Margo's nickname since she was born, and she hoped it would go away when she was Implanted.

"What do you mean?"

"Most kids your age don't speak with their parents anymore. Plus, we're getting old anyway. It's such an exciting experience, and we think we should exclude you since you're so young," Jillian added.

"You're . . . getting rid of me?" The words rose bile to Margo's throat.

"Goodness no!" Jillian exclaimed, allowing Margo to breathe again.

"Just removing you from our contact," Ivan clarified.

Margo felt like she'd been punched in the gut. She was numb and speechless as her parents babbled on about Pureville and exciting vacations they were planning. Not one word was said about Margo or her crime.

She was going to snap. She had to. Her own parents weren't helping, and seconds were ticking by until Kiori would be Implanted—or to put it plainly, sentenced to death.

Stay calm.

Stay calm.

Stay. Calm.

"We're going to a party in New London tonight! It'll be so exciting! If only you could go to parties, Margo," Jillian said.

Calm.

"Miss Loveridge, I think it's time for you to go," said the man who brought Margo to her parents.

Stay calm.

When her parents began to smile, something in Margo burst.

"I'm not going anywhere!" Margo shouted. "Bring Kiori Nakamura back to our dorm, or I'm not going anywhere!"