Chapter 15

Kiori couldn't believe it.

"You're going to a party," she said, "without me?"

Margo ran a brush, which had been given to her by Orabelle, through her thick brown hair. It was knotty and wavier than it had been back in Crud—nearly unmanageable. She had a shower time every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday from 10:05 to 10:08. She constantly felt smelly and gross.

"You wouldn't like it anyway," Margo replied.

Kiori would probably love to party. Margo knew that, and that was the problem. She'd love it too much and would take the spotlight.

Not that Margo wanted it, of course. She'd just sacrificed so much for Kiori—she needed something to be selfish over.

Wether it was Zack or the party, she wasn't sure.

"I'm going," Kiori decided.

Margo spun. "No you aren't. Parties are for older kids. Not grimy little twelve-year-olds."

Kiori swatted at her, so Margo pushed her back. It was a scene that reminded Margo of Avrilyn and her brother, who would constantly fight. But in a sibling sort of way.

Margo had the finishing move. She reached toward Kiori and tickled her.

Kiori crumpled into a fit of giggles and kicks. "Quit it! I'm gonna kill you!" It was brave words from a skinny girl who was currently pinned on the floor and laughing.

"Okay, okay!" Kiori exclaimed pushing Margo away. "I won't go! You better tell me everything though."

"I will," Margo promised.

As soon as the sun began to set, Margo left the Sequoia in search of the Hemlock dorm. She passed Zack's house, knocked on the door, but no one answered. She crept inside to see if Orabelle was sleeping.

The house was empty.

Margo left and walked the street, where she passed a man walking to the nightly bonfire. She asked for directions to the Hemlock, and he pointed near the end of the road.

The dorm was twice as large as the Sequoia. Most of the windows were still intact, with bright green shutters attached. Music boomed from inside. Voices echoed down the street, adding more anxiety that almost forced Margo to turn back.

The door swung open and a laughing guy tumbled out. He spotted Margo and went to grab her hand, but she dodged him and went inside.

The place was packed. It was stuffy and smelly and loud. Certainly not the best first impression.

"Yo, you're the new Cruddie!" a red headed boy exclaimed, making his friends around him laugh.

Margo didn't find it funny. She forced her voice to be louder than the music, "Where's Zack?"

She had to repeat herself four times, though Margo guessed the last two times were to make her uncomfortable. Instead of replying, the teens started asking about Crud, bombarding her with names and asking how they were, asking her if they'd been Implanted.

Margo slunk away, passing a large speaker that looked similar to the stereo systems of the old days. She clasped her hands over her ears. It was so loud!

"Hey, Margo!" Someone tapped her shoulder.

Margo spun to face Davia. She was clearly intoxicated, her bright eyes glazed over and a laugh escaping her throat.