Chapter 25

As soon as Zack proposed it, the others agreed. Yes, they said, time to take action.

But who do we ask? If we go back to the camp and capture someone, we will get caught, Zack said.

I know the perfect candidate, Jess said, shooting a look at Margo.

So that was how Margo ended up going back in the woods to collect the Evie-lover. He groaned as the group took turns dragging him far away from the camp until they stopped halfway back to Eden.

"Is he awake?" a girl asked.

Jess kicked him lightly with her foot and he groaned. "Yeah, he's awake."

"Who are you?" the man asked. 

Zack crouched down and grasped the collar of the man's jacket. "We'll let you go without harm if you tell us where the next closest Spartan camp is."

A boy coughed. "That was straightforward."

Zack looked up at him. "Best way to do it."

"I'm not telling you people anything." Suddenly his head snapped up to Margo. Betrayal coated his soft voice as he said, "You're not Evie."

"Evie?" Zack asked, looking at Margo for an explanation.

"No, I'm not her," she told the man. 

"I almost kissed you," he spat.

"What?" Zack demanded.

Margo ignored him and bent down to the man. "We can take you back to her if you tell us what we need to know."

"You'll kill me as soon as I tell you."

"I won't let them."

The man scoffed. "Yeah, like I trust the word of a girl who pretended to be my girlfriend."

"I didn't pretend anything. You were the one who followed me!"

"Oh jeez, what else were you going to let me do before you told me you weren't her?"

"Yeah, what were you going to let him do?" Zack asked accusingly.

Margo clutched her head. "I'm here to help this mission, not bicker with you two."

"Right. Sorry," Zack said. He sighed and turned back to the man. "You will never see your girlfriend again if you don't tell us where the other camp is."

Margo shook her head. He wasn't very good at negotiating.

"They'll come looking for me," the man said. 

Jess groaned and pulled out her gun. "I was scared to use this last time, but my finger would be happy to—"

"Don't!" the man begged. "Please, don't."

He shuddered and sat up, wrapping his hands around his knees. Jess still held her gun steady at his head.

"There's one a mile away. Close to Pureville."

Margo recognized the name as the city her parents were moving to. She wondered if they were already there. Did they miss her?

No.

That wasn't possible for someone who could only feel happy.

"Oh, good. That's not far." Zack stood, pulling the man to his feet as well. "Guess we should get going."

"We?" the man asked.

"Of course. We need a chaperone." Zack turned to Jess. "Would you mind walking behind our friend?"