epilogue

it was well past midnight, their meeting only coming to an end. Ran was bored out of his mind the whole time, opting to focus on the cigarette between his fingers instead of whatever Mikey had to say; though he listened in on the part about Red Flower's movements, quite pleased that they never suspected it was him behind such attacks.

the formal, objective air of their meeting soon dissipated into silent conversations with whoever was beside them as they all shared a drink. Ran sipped absentmindedly on his alcohol as Rin leaned his head on his shoulder, Ran's eyes scanning the room for nothing in particular.

Mochi and Kokonoi were talking about something like they were arguing, Kaku was silent as Takeomi talked his ear off, and Mikey and Sanzu were talking discreetly as well. he watches the pair, their leader on his chair with his loyal second slightly leaning down to his ear.

all of a sudden Sanzu looks up at him, an instantaneous smirk on his lips. Ran hated it, it felt like he held power over him—worse, Ran has no clue what it was.

"bring her in," Mikey says aloud.

everyone turned to him in confusion, but Sanzu replies to him with a smile. "I'll do as you say."

as Sanzu leaves the room, everyone else returned to whatever it is they were doing. Rin sat up, rigid beside Ran, as he looks at Kokonoi. Koko was already looking at him as well, both men sharing unreadable expressions on their faces.

"what's wrong?" asks Ran, who inexplicably felt nervous.

"nothing." Rindou was too quick in responding like he often did when he lied to Ran. the older brother looks at Koko questioningly, but he looks away like his gaze was burning. Ran could see it on his face—that he was nervous. he doesn't miss the way he clenches his hands into fists either.

maybe if it didn't involve Rin he wouldn't be so concerned.

"you're hiding something."

Rin sighs, wiping down his face before he leans into Ran's ear. "listen, whatever's about to happen, don't let your emotions get the best of you."

that obviously wasn't a good sign. Ran could only think of one thing—one person—that'd make his emotions best him. "Hikari." he knew instantly. his deduction, which was more on premonition than evidence, was quite impressive to Rindou who looked at his brother warily.

Ran rises from his seat abruptly. he was told Mikey was already suspicious of Hikari, and now Sanzu was acting off, mentioning something about his room. he doesn't forget how he felt like someone had called out to him earlier either.

"where are you going?" Rin hisses.

he couldn't breathe properly. Ran doesn't want to be right. she can't be here—not when she should be safe. his thoughts often drifted to her throughout their meeting, and he had happily thought she was probably asleep or up reading a book.

"Ran, don't leave this room."

Mikey's voice was cold. he looks at Mikey who was staring up at him with a bored look on his face. Ran doesn't see the leader he once respected at all, he couldn't even imagine how he managed to be such a loyal underling before.

Hikari could barely make out her surroundings, her eyes half closed. her frame swayed like she was on water, but with what sobriety was left in her mind, she later realizes she was being carried.

"you're gonna have to learn how to walk."

she blinks up at the face before her, the light eclipsed behind him. purple eyes stared back at Hikari, leaving the girl confused.