Chapter 49

There's a collective sigh of relief as the door shuts behind us. Unfortunately, my immediate relief is short-lived.

"How could you let them go to my mother?" I hiss at Liam.

"Don't worry. She'll back up my story."

"You... What?" I ask in alarm. Have I miscalculated this? Has Liam been working for her this entire time? Have I walked straight into a trap?

"I did go to speak to your mother before coming to your room." This is it, I think miserably. "I had to make sure my story was believable when I got here. The painkiller was a pure stroke of luck. Now go and see your father. There isn't much time."

I want to tell him how unbelievably grateful I am, but he's right; we don't have much time here. Slipping my hand from Isaac's, I reach into my pocket and grabbing another vial. I unscrew the lid and dip my pinkie finger inside. The tip of my finger tingles, and I enjoy it as the tingle spreads across my body. I can now see what I'm doing as I replace the vial of water into my pocket again.

My green veins and long, sharp nails are an unwelcome reminder of my childhood in the palace. When water is used to remove the effects of the invisibility potion, it also removes any glamours. I've become so accustomed to my glamour that it's a bit of a shock to see my real body again.

"I'll be back in a few minutes." I reassure Liam and Isaac, before darting through the door opposite the main door.

I can't remember the last time I was in my parents' bedroom. I glance around, seeing the familiar furniture of mahogany wood and sky blue fabrics. Under the rumpled silk of the bed, lays a pale, shrivelled figure.

"Alyssa." My dad groans, voice frail and strained.

"Father." I race the few steps to his bedside, where my knees press into the hard wood as I lean over to grab his hand. His hand is far too lightweight. I don't want to give him a comforting squeeze out of fear I'll snap him in two.

"You shouldn't be here." He rasps. "The poison was intended for this very purpose."

His weak body. His struggling voice. His concerned words. It's all too much for me. A single tear rolls down my face. I sniffle, trying my best to hold back the flood.

"I know. But if they can't cure you in time..." Another tear escapes me.

"I understand." He gives me a small smile.

"All those months ago, you warned me about a traitor. You had no idea of the truth, did you?"

"I was clueless. Until your letter." He squeezes my hand, but he's so weak I barely feel it. "Despite the sight before you now, I have no doubt that you saved us all. Marco will not let your mother take the kingdom from him." He bursts out into a fit of coughs, and my heart skips a beat. "Tell me you've been happy." A raspy plea.

I can't lie to him now, but I also know the truth isn't what he wants to hear. "At times, yes. I met someone. His name is Isaac, and... I love him."

"Does he treat you well?"

"Yes." I reply without hesitation.

"Then you have my blessing." A cough punctuates his words.

"Tell me... Tell me what I can do for you."

"You already know what needs to be done." He squeezes my hand again, but it feels like he's squeezing my heart. I wanted to hear a different answer. How can he possibly expect me to kill my mum? His wife?

The tears break free and form two rivers slithering down my face. "Why me?" I cry. "Why does it have to be me?"

"That's not a question I can answer, though I'm sure you'll know soon enough."

I slump down onto his chest, careful not to break his frail body. His free hand moves to stroke my back. I don't know how long we lay like that.

"One minute." I hear Liam call through the door.

Too soon. It's too soon to say goodbye. I lift my body from the bed, wiping the tears away.

My dad cups my cheek with his hand. "Stay safe, my precious daughter."

"Promise me you'll stay safe too."

"I can't promise you that. But I will promise you this:" His hand slides from my cheek, and he places his palm over my heart. "You will always find me here. No matter where you are, or what you are doing, I will be with you." His hand slips away as another coughing fit overtakes him. "Goodbye, Alyssa."

"Goodbye, father." I turn away abruptly before a fresh wave of tears can leak from my eyes. I've cried enough tears already. I'm tired of crying.

"How is he?" Isaac asks tentatively when I close the door to my dad's bed. I have to admit it's kind of unnerving to hear him but not be able to see him.

"He's seen better days." I sniffle.

Suddenly, I feel strong arms wrap around me. I hug Isaac back. After a moment, a giggle escapes me.

"What?" He questions.

"I'm hugging the air." There's silence for a moment. Then Isaac lets out a low chuckle.

"We have to leave." Liam interrupts us. "Now."

I extract myself from Isaac's embrace, hurriedly drinking another invisibility potion. Liam opens the main door out into the corridor, and the three of us slip out the room.

"See you later." Isaac calls to the guard still stationed outside.

"Yeah, see ya."

We shuffle down the corridor, retracing our steps back to my rooms. Halfway there, we hear voices nearby.

"Are you sure the magic you sensed was people?" My mum asks. Liam and I both freeze, and Isaac stops too when he realises.

"Positive. I'm sure there were two of them." I recognise this voice as belonging to the female guard we saw earlier.

"And you allowed that other guard into the room anyway?"

"Run." Liam murmurs.

I don't need to be told twice. I tug Isaac along with me, leading us the fastest route back to my rooms. It's not far, but we still manage to stir up suspicion. Confused curses and alarmed shrieks trail us the entire way as we pass too many guards for comfort.

We hurtle into my rooms and through the portal, and don't stop running until we're deep in a forest over a mile from the clothes shop on Earth. Finally, Isaac and I stop, panting and gasping for breath. I realise I can see Isaac, and I have no idea how long ago the potion wore off.