Chapter 2, Foxglove poison at large

Chen Xing Xu as Gan Xin

CHAPTER 2

"Is tomorrow my birthday yet?" Wei An Ge questioned, randomly. Jing Nu the old and highest maid, who was combing her mildly curly hair after finishing her training with Rong Zhe, was startled.

"Not yet, Crown Princess" She answered, passing the small comb through the messy hair "What is your favorite number then? Do you have one?"

"Favorite number?" Wei An Ge stared blankly at her youthful 13 years old figure in the mirror, thinking hard. Her left hand, covered in a glove pounded the table, unrest.

"How many people of Hei An Guang know me?" She inquired, rolling her eyeballs to Jing Nu, smiling.

"Possibly 16 people in the palace,"

"Then 16 is it!" She turned her whole face to the maid by the neck, applying full force, causing the wooden comb to be thrown towards the room exit door.

"Crown Princess, the comb!" The other maids shouted, alert.

"FABULOUS!!" A well-known voice lingered, loud and clear. "Very good, Crown Princess!"

The maids started kneeling as Wei An Ge had her chin pulled downwards with an anxious face. Anxiety swallowed her, increasing her heartbeat.

She was afraid that he might blame her for being careless and complaining. She knew the punishment wouldn't be light.

"Wei An Ge greets the King of Hei An Guang," She shouted, with respect. Her fingers were engaging each other, nervous. A moment after, the King stepped inside her room, glorious with his dark and gold outfit and majestic hairpieces. A royal eunuch stood at his side, bowing to her.

The King had his seat on a random wooden table of the room, scanning the situation.

Wei An Ge and the maids couldn't rest settled. Even Jung Nu who was always calm had a hint of fear appeared on her face. The atmosphere was scary and intimidating.

"Go," the King complained. "Get out, all of you,"

The maids rose, including Jing Nu, walking through the exit door in a well-managed ordered line, having a hint of relief. Trying to escape, Wei An Ge hid at the end of the line, heading out of the room and possibly the manor, wanting to pretend nothing happened and she was still in the training base.

"Wei An Ge!" The king called, loudly and fiercely.

Her steps ended. Her plan was ruined. Obeying the King's wish, she walked towards the King, bowing before him. Nervously her eyebrows furrowed in fear. Her lip felt dried as her stomach felt uncomfy.

"Yes, your Majesty,"

"Come, have a seat," the King offered, still pasting his strict scary face, glaring at the terrified princess.

Wei An Ge sat just at the chair beside him, nervous, knowing she have no power against him. She has already thought of the things the King might be scolding her of. Her progress in training both archery and court matters.

"Let me see your hand," with a cold as ice and hard as stone tone of voice, he asked.

"The one with the glove?" She panicked. "Your Majesty, you know-"

"The injured one," he explained, offering his hand to get hers.

Wei An Ge nodded, understood. She placed her right hand on the offered palm of the King, revealing a bloody red and full of scar wrist. Some areas were purple and some were red, fresh with new slashes. The King had his eyes widened with a boost of care upon seeing the Crown Princess's wrist. He instantly applied the most random purple powder to it.