3: Who Was Babysitting Who?

Soleil was a foreigner to Liyue, but that doesn't mean she was a tourist. She knew her way around the lands surrounding Liyue well enough not to get lost in the middle of the night.

Soleil sat down comfortably among the tall blades of grass as she stared down at Guili Plains from a vantage point. She was like a bird peering down from a tree branch, silent but wary.

Liyue once stood over Guili Plains until the Archon War broke out and Guizhong, Rex Lapis' close companion, perished.

Under her honor and a promise he made, Rex Lapis took his people and rebuilt Liyue near the sea, making the harbor it is today.

But that was just a summary of the tale. Although short and it misses the vital aspects of the late Archon's identity, it was all that the people needed to know. The rest were secrets kept among those with lips sealed under a contract.

Guili Plains was silent and beautiful. Soleil could even see the herons resting and the few critters roaming peacefully, without the presence of danger.

Of course, no one would dare show in these parts of the plains. They were near the borders of Jueyun Karst, the territory and abode of the adepti. To put it all simply: the land humans weren't allowed to enter.

If there was a line representing the borders of Jueyun Karst, it would appear just behind where Soleil was sitting. Any movement backward and she would already be inside the adepti's land.

Yet Soleil was unfazed. She took in the sights of Guili Plains one more time before standing up, brushing the grass from the tails of her coat.

She turned around and stared into the depths of Jueyun Karst, seeing the yellow and orange leaves flutter like lifeless butterflies before plopping against the grass.

The adepti... Ningguang has made them step back from intervening in Liyue's affairs just as Soleil proposed her to. That only meant they have secluded themselves in these lands, not willing to step out unless another dangerous adversary appears once more.

Soleil hummed as she held her chin. Out of all places, the adepti chose Jueyun Karst as their safe haven. There must be a reason to it.

Hm... Now she was curious.

Shrugging, Soleil made an attempt to step forward until she felt someone yank her back. She yelped in surprise and stumbled backwards.

"What the–" Soleil frowned until she saw the person beside her. Then, she deadpanned, "Oh. You."

Childe narrowed his eyes as he tugged Soleil back by the back of her collar. Despite the glare, Soleil just blinked her eyes at him.

"Just what do you think you're planning on doing?" he asked. "Going on a nature trip?" Soleil responded.

"A nature trip? Right into the land of adepti? Are you insane? You can get yourself into trouble if you offend any one of the adepti! The moment you step in there, they will sense you and who knows what they might do to you," Childe hissed.

"Offend? I know about your fiascoes. If there was anyone who would offend the adepti by just by simply entering, it would be you. Now unless you want to wear my coat, it'd be best to let it go," Soleil said but swatted the Harbinger's arm anyway.

Childe frowned as he adjusted his gloves. "You caught on quickly," he said with an unhappy tone.

She catches up quick. It has only been a day yet it seems Soleil already has all the information she needed.

"Oh, I did and I did not like any single bit," Soleil crossed her arms and glared, "You were too reckless, Tartaglia. What were you thinking? Reviving Osial was already enough and you still sent your forces to meddle with the Qixing directly. Look where it got you: the Qixing has every reason to keep an eye on your movements. I don't even want to think what would happen if they had they been able to trace any of your activities back to me."