78: Into The Unknown

Here's a trip back to Mondstadt in order to do some serious rain checks👀. For those who missed out Version 2.3: Shadow Amidst Snowstorms, here you go. :3

Regulus pranced leisurely with his hooves making light clobbers against the stone bridge. Soleil adjusted her hood enough so she could see, and her eyes scoured the gates before her that seems to never close.

"Wha... Huh?" the sleepy knights by the gate suddenly felt curious to see the incoming horse of regal chestnut color. There was a hooded person mounted on it.

"Who goes there?" one of them asked and pointed their spear alertly. "State your business," the other one added with a stern look.

"Come now, gentlemen. I'm just a harmless lady," Soleil got down from Regulus and removed her hood. She grinned at them, "See?"

"You are... Huh. You look kind of familiar," one knight squinted. The other one gasped and slapped his friend's arm.

"Ow! What was that for?!" the other knight glared while the other gave him a wide-eyed look.

"That's Captain Kaeya's you-know-what!" he whisper-shouted. The other knight froze, and his jaw dropped.

"Oh... Oh! Ah! Miss Soleil! I remember now!" he said, pointing at the girl, who was smiling wryly.

"Excuse me, but um... You might want to tone it down a little. You might startle the people nearby," Soleil said with a gentle smile.

"Oh, my apologies..." the knights' voices hushed down lower. One knight, the first to recognize her, turned to Soleil with an apologetic smile.

"We apologize for want happened earlier. It must be because of the lack of sleep that we did not recognize you," he said.

"Don't be silly, I was wearing a hood. It's only right for you to be suspicious. If anything, you're both doing great jobs. There's no need to be sorry," Soleil praised them, causing them to blush a little in happiness.

"Thank you... But Miss, it's already late in the afternoon. Any later, and it would be night. You would be in danger," a knight said worriedly.

"What is with the...cover-up?" the other knight asked, pointing at her hood. Soleil smiled wryly.

"You might find my answer silly or suspicious but... I'm actually trying to avoid running into Kaeya. I believe you were unfortunate enough to remember what happened to Ian's group doing crazy requests for Kaeya," Soleil whispered to them, "I'm trying to avoid that, hehe..."

"I see! Haha, well, the captain's worrying is understandable but...yeah," a knight said wryly, "It can go a little overboard."

"A little?!" his companion said in disbelief. "Shhh!" the knight and Soleil said simultaneously in panic.

"Oh. Sorry," the knight said sheepishly. The other one sighed and smiled at Soleil, "Seeing as you are okay, I think there's nothing wrong about letting you in. I mean, we heard you were a helpful consultant to Master Jean. We can give you credit for that."

"Great. Thank you," Soleil smiled. "Of course," the knights replied and stepped aside to let her into the gates, "You'll be safer within the walls of Mondstadt."

"With the knights around, I do feel better. Thanks again!" Soleil waved at them before walking in sneakily.

The knights looked at her hooded form blend in. "It's kinda weird she is trying to hide from the captain," one of them said, "Did they argue?"

"Ah, I actually heard they argued a few times inside Captain Kaeya's house–Not his dorm at the headquarters, okay? It's different," the other knight whispered.