Chapter 1

Leylani snuck in through the back entrance of the school, wanting to take a shower before the student body arrived. She knew if they caught her using the school's showers, they would ridicule her even more. It was embarrassing enough wearing clothes that were patched up. She didn't want to add another reason to be picked at.

The coach met her in the locker room. "Good morning, sugar. Here's a fresh towel. Leave your clothes at the door so I can put them in the wash."

Leylani smiled at her. "Thank you." She handed her the laundry bag and stepped into the shower stall, seeking comfort in the warm water. She stripped down and left her clothes out for the coach to take. The coach was the only teacher to show her kindness. Most teachers never noticed her. She couldn't blame them, though. It wasn't as if Leylani put any effort into being seen. She wasn't in any extracurricular activities, didn't take part in class, and she didn't even eat her lunch in the cafeteria. She liked to hide away in the library, surrounded by the scent of vanilla and parchment.

Leylani winced as the water washed over her wound. It stung the cuts her father had given her last night. A lump formed in Leylani's throat at the thought of her father. Tears welled in her eyes as she recalled the events of last night. The rent money had fallen short, so her father took his anger out on her. He vented to her how worthless she was. She guessed he thought his words weren't enough, so he left her a little reminder on her back. The cut on her back was bleeding as the water washed over his messy carving. The word "worthless" reflected off the mirror, staring back at her, almost mocking her.

Leylani cleared her throat, putting on a brave face, not wanting to show the world her weakness. Though secretly she wished they noticed. She prayed that someone would notice the bruises and bumps. Maybe then someone would help free her from her bonds. It's not like she didn't want to leave her household. She couldn't. She had no family or friends to take her in. No funds to keep her afloat. With her father, she at least had a roof over her head. Anything was better than being homeless.

She shut the tap, dried off, and slipped into an old moth-eaten sweater and blue jeans. The bell rang, summoning her to the cafeteria. She sighed and trudged down the hall. It was time to face the demons. Leylani rolled her eyes as her gaze landed on Kiera. Her flawless figure and designer clothes mocked her. Leylani snuck a look at her own shoes. They were hanging on by duct tape.

"Morning, Leylani. Nice sweater," Kiera said.

Though her voice was warm, and she wore a smile, her eyes were taunting her. Leylani's body burned and her eyes stung as tears threatened to form. Though angry, Leylani stayed silent. She knew standing up to Kiera was useless. Her gaze wandered to the boy whose arm Kiera latched onto. His icy blue eyes met hers. Leylani gulped at the intensity in his gaze. Nikolai Gotti, her locker buddy. She scurried away before Kiera could further embarrass her.

Sparing a look behind her, she found Nikolai's gaze locked onto her retreating figure. As his gaze met hers once more, he gave her a small smile. Leylani's heart skipped a beat at his actions. She tore her gaze away and turned the corner.

She headed to the cafeteria for a tray of breakfast. "Thank God," she whispered when she saw pancakes were on the menu for today. Her father hadn't brought home a single meal for her all weekend, so the last time she had eaten was Friday evening. Chicken wings and a biscuit from the school's dinner service for the economically disadvantaged students.

She inhaled, appreciating the scent of chocolate chips and maple syrup. Leylani went to the library to enjoy her breakfast in peace. She didn't want to run into Kiera again. Her insults would only magnify. The comment about her sweater was almost kind. By Kiera's standards, at least.