Chapter 6

It was Nikolai's enraged voice, which woke Leylani up the first time. She stirred, trying to sit up. Victoria's soft voice coaxed her back to sleep, and she complied, collapsing into Victoria's warm embrace, pretending it was her mother instead.

Nikolai stood outside his bedroom door, demanding to be let in. Richard and two guards stood in his way, blocking him from entering. Nikolai tried again to barrel past the men, but as per Ms. Victoria's orders, Richard tased him every time. A shaking and sweating mess, Nikolai stood his ground, not wavering.

Richard sighed. "You can scream and fight all you want, but it will not change the fact that you cannot and will not see Leylani. Ms. Victoria has ordered so."

"I don't care what she says! I want to see Leylani right now!"

"Once you become the leader of the Gotti family, I will obey your command, but until then, I will follow Mr. Gotti and Ms. Victoria." Richard's fingers tightened around the taser. His harsh glare softened as he looked at Nikolai's messy form. His face was damp with sweat, his eyes bloodshot, shining with tears, and his limbs shook with effort.

"It was an honest accident, Nikolai. You didn't know she couldn't swim. She was caught off guard and hurt her back during the fall. All she needs is sleep and she'll be fine. Until then, let your mother take care of her," Richard said.

Nikolai's fist balled. Even though he loved Richard, he was tempted to punch him in the face. He and his mother were being stubborn and senseless. Leylani was hurt because of him! All he wanted to do was see her. What was the harm in that? Approaching footsteps caught his attention. Massimo and his father were walking towards them.

"What's going on?" his father asked.

"Mr. Gotti, Leylani has gotten hurt. Ms. Victoria is taking care of her," Richard said.

"How did she get hurt? Is she okay? I want to see her. Excuse me, please." Massimo rushed through his words and tried to push through the men, but Richard held the taser up, stopping him.

"She is not decent. Ms. Victoria is taking care of her. Neither you nor Nikolai will enter this room. It would be in your best interest to admit defeat."

Mr. Gotti chuckled. "Come on, boys. Your friend is in excellent hands. Victoria will take good care of her. There is no reason for you to worry."

Massimo, though torn, followed Mr. Gotti. Nikolai hesitated. One look from Mr. Gotti sent him running.

Richard sighed, sliding down against the wall. "These Gotti's are going to be the death of me."

His companions sat next to him, exhaustion etched into their features. "Are they always like this?"

Richard chuckled. "This is the first time I've seen either act like this. By the way things are looking, I can promise it will be very entertaining around here."

On the other side of the door, Leylani stirred once again, this time fully awake. "W-Where am I?"

"We are in Nikolai's room. You were drowning, remember?"

Leylani blinked, trying to recall what happened. It came back to her in a rush. Ice cold water ploughing through her system, red hot pain searing across her back. Her cheeks burned and a wave of shame washed over her as she realized she was bare.

"It's nothing I haven't seen before. We're both women here," Ms. Victoria said, as if she knew what Leylani was thinking. She rubbed some sort of cream on Leylani's back. "I'm certain you won't scar."

Leylani's heart lurched at the mention of scars. Now that her back was on full display, Victoria had a clear view of all of her whip marks, along with the ungodly carving her father gave her.