Chapter 16

Thank you all for the warm wishes and thoughts! I really appreciate it :) As a small thank you, I whipped this chapter up really quick. I hope you enjoy it, happy reading! 

A mere pawn you were to be

A curse is what you became to me

This was to be nothing more than a game

And yet, I have only myself to blame

It started off as a whisper

Suddenly, I found myself wanting to kiss her

I can see the pain in your eyes

You want to spread your wings and fly

I want to let you go

But, darling, I need you so

My selfish desires keep you here

Your departure is what I fear

I have no right to love you

And yet, the thought of you with someone else

Has me wanting to raise hell

Leylani Garcia, you have enslaved me mind and soul

I pray to God that you find peace in this hell hole

"Nikolai! Nikolai, wake up, my boy. You're about to lose her!"

Lose her? Lose who?

"Nikolai, wake up. She's going to die!"

Who's going to die? I'm so confused. This is a really weird dream.

"NIKOLAI GOTTI! WAKE UP RIGHT NOW, YOU FILTHY INBRED. LEYLANI IS ABOUT TO DIE! SAVE HER!"

Leylani is about to die? What kind of nightmare is this?

"Save her and bring her home!"

Save her? I have to save her! Leylani's in danger. Leylani, hold on, I'm coming, darling. Hold on.

Nikolai shot up, trembling as sweat dripped down his face. He looked around, confused. It was such an odd dream. In the dim light, a flash of silver caught his eye. What is that? Horror dawned on him as he recognized, amongst the shadows, what Leylani held to her throat. His heart drummed painfully against his chest as he leaped across the bed. I have to save her. I have to!

"Leylani!" he cried. Her eyes went wide as he hovered over her. Wrestling the switchblade out of her hands, he threw the bloody knife to the side, grabbed her fists in one hand, and held the other against the cut on her neck. Hot crimson blood spilled through his fingers. "L-Leylani," he choked. Splotchy tears blurred his vision as Leylani's fuzzy figure looked up at him. Fear bubbled in the pit of his stomach, crawling through his veins, locking his limbs together. She almost died. I almost lost her. He couldn't fight back the tears any longer. Dry sobs raked through his body as he stared down at her defeated frame.

She stared up at him, anger and pain swimming in the depths of her eyes. "N-No," she whispered. She fought against his vice tight grip.

Nikolai put more pressure, struggling against her flailing limbs.

"It landed on tails. I was going to die. I was finally going to die! Why would you take that away from me?!" she screamed. Tears spilled down her cheeks, her breath haggard.

Pain. Raw, agonizing pain ripped through Nikolai's heart. Leylani wanted to die. She wanted to leave this world. She wanted to leave him. "FUCK, LEYLANI!" He let go of her and ripped off the bottom of his shirt. He pressed the satin against her neck. The ivory fabric collected her scarlet blood. The gruesome sight made his stomach roll.