Chapter 14

Please read! If you are interested in reading my debut novel, "Save Me", for free, please leave your email below. I will send you a PDF copy. All I ask in return is if you could please leave a review on Amazon. I had a few ARC readers promise to review, but they disappeared as soon as they received the PDF. I will leave the blurb at the end of the chapter if you are interested.  Thank you :)

Nikolai's eyes were blank as he stared Leylani down. She fought back the unease that was bubbling in the pit of her stomach. She'd rather face Nikolai angry than emotionless. His eyes, which were usually so enchanting and welcoming, were now hollow. Not a spark of emotion in them. There was no love, not even hate.

Massimo's warm hand caught her attention. She looked up as Massimo touched her elbow, guiding her to the training room. It was time to begin her training. Mr. Gotti made it clear that she was to work on the front lines. Much to her dismay, along with Nikolai's and Massimo's. The clacking of Kiera's heels followed.

"Go home, Kiera." Nikolai's voice was low, though hints of annoyance were clear in his words.

"No. I'd like to stay and watch."

"Nikolai told you to go home, little girl. I suggest you follow orders." Massimo's voice was not warm like it usually was. His posture was tense, his shoulders rigid. He gave Kiera a fleeting glance. "You have two choices. Leave of your own free will, or I will drag you out myself."

"Watch your tone, cousin. You may not like her, but she's still my fiancée." Nikolai caught up to Massimo, his jaw set.

Massimo rolled his eyes. Leylani looked back at Keira. Her eyes narrowed into thin slits. Irritation etched into her stunning features. She caught Leylani staring. Kiera opened her mouth, probably to make a snarky comment, but one look from Nikolai and she was gone.

"Why do you bother to defend her?" Massimo asked Nikolai.

"She's my fiancée. I have to."

Leylani couldn't help herself. "You don't have to do anything. You don't have to love her, honor her, or defend her. She's broken your heart more than once. She has no right to you or your heart. Not anymore, at least."

Nikolai looked at her. Leylani's throat went dry at the longing in his gaze. Her gaze flew along his face, taking in his fresh bruises and swollen knot. A pang of guilt shot through her. On the one hand, she wanted to take Massimo's advice and hurt Nikolai, but seeing Nikolai hurt both physically and emotionally pained her.

This was all her fault. She should have never mentioned her stupid journal. If she hadn't, Nikolai wouldn't be in this state. Bruised and battered beyond recognition. Nikolai gave her a small smile, probably reading her face. Leylani couldn't bring herself to smile back. Never in her life had she been this torn. She wanted to hate him, and yet she found herself pitying the one she was meant to despise.

Massimo cleared his throat. "Shall we begin, cousin?"

Nikolai tore his gaze away and nodded. "If, at any point in time, you get uncomfortable, Leylani, just let us know."

Leylani nodded, anxiety crawling up her limbs. She didn't know what to expect, and the unknown frightened her.

"Let's do some stretches first." Massimo motioned for her to copy his movements.

Leylani followed the boys' movements as they helped loosen her muscles. Every time either one looked at her, she would go rigid, her limbs stiffening.

"A little lower, love," Massimo said. His large hands circled her waist and guided her body to the side. Leylani's skin burned under his scorching touch. Her heart skipped a beat as his hands trembled against her skin, fixing her form.