Chapter 12

Thank you for all of the likes! I really appreciated it. As promised, here is the next chapter. Apologies in advance, if it's all over the place. I wrote this in a rush and had no idea where I was going with it. Enjoy!

"Good morning, Leylani," Victoria said.

Leylani blinked, sitting up. Victoria turned the lights on.

"Five more minutes," Leylani said, throwing the covers over her head.

"Massimo is waiting for you, sweetheart."

Leylani shot up. "I'm awake. Please tell him I'll be down in ten minutes."

Victoria laughed as Leylani ran to the bathroom. "I'm only joking. He's still fast asleep."

Leylani rolled her eyes, though smiled at the glee on Victoria's face.

"Are you two getting along?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am. Massimo's very sweet." Leylani's cheeks burned as she recalled the events of yesterday. His striking eyes, warm smile, and comforting hold played in her mind. Like a tidal wave, Nikolai's tears, haunting eyes, and bitter smile washed over thoughts of Massimo.

"He is. Given everything he's been through, it's a miracle he didn't become a monster."

"Everything he's been through?"

Victoria's eyes widened a fraction, as if she realized she had said too much. "I'll wake him up. My husband would like to speak to the two of you before your lessons begin." She locked the room behind her.

It seemed the Gotti's had their fair share of secrets as well. Leylani washed up and got dressed for the day. Once upon a time, she would wear the same patched jeans and frayed tops. Now Nikolai's closet had an endless supply of clothing for her. Silk tops, cashmere sweaters, satin skirts and designer heels. She slipped on a random pair of jeans and a baby blue silk top.

"Morning, darling."

Nikolai stood at the end of the hall.

"No."

Nikolai rolled his eyes. Leylani sped up, trying to evade him. Nikolai matched her pace, following her down the stairs.

"How did you sleep?"

"Silence, Nikolai."

Nikolai chuckled. "Will do. Before I go, I wanted to ask, is there anything you want me to pick up from your house?"

Leylani froze. "What?"

"I have work to do on the south side today. If you want anything from your house, let me know."

Leylani's stomach dropped. She couldn't let Nikolai meet her father. "I don't need anything, thanks," she lied. Even though she despised Nikolai, she didn't want to put him in harm's way. Meeting her father could have catastrophic results.

"Why are your hands shaking, darling?"

Nikolai grabbed her trembling fist. Leylani pulled her hand away. "I'm just a little cold." Another lie.

"I'll grab a sweater to match that top of yours. That color looks lovely on you, doll." His icy fingers traced the fabric that sat at the hollow of her neck. Leylani's breath hitched as he trailed his gaze over her. "Beautiful," he whispered.

Someone cleared their throat. Leylani stepped away and Nikolai's hand fell, an irritated arch in his brow.

"Always in the way," he whispered.

Mr. Gotti stood by the doors to the parlor. Massimo stood at his side, his hair flopping into his eyes. Clearly, he had a rushed start as well. One foot bore a sock while the other had a slipper. Leylani smiled at him. The sleepiness melted off his face, and he beamed at her.