chapter nine

confrontation between friend's

Lunch break was less than a minute away, and Hea was still mentally arguing with herself about what to do. She couldn’t go to the cafeteria, they would probably sit with her or force her to join them.

She jumped when the bell rang.

Their English professor dismissed the class, but Hea remained in her seat. C'mon, Hea, think! she urged herself, feeling increasingly distressed.

She decided she should go to the rooftop and spend her break there, it felt safer that way.

Getting up, she quickly gathered her things and rushed to the school’s rooftop.

The cold breeze hit her face, and for the first time in a while, she felt calm. Her mind began to ease, and she almost broke into tears.

It hadn’t even been a month, but she was already missing the old her—the one who could walk alone comfortably, the one who didn’t fear contact with others.

She felt extremely disgusted with herself. Recalling that day was like reliving a nightmare every day. She should have fought back and protected herself, but despite her dad sending her to self-defense classes to prepare for situations like this, she hadn’t been able to do anything. She felt like nothing but a weak, stupid human.

Feeling hot and alone, she took off her cardigan. The bruises flashed into her sight, and without realizing it, a few tears escaped and rolled down her cheeks.

She curled into a ball and cried her eyes out.

“Why do I have to experience all of this? What did I do in my past life to deserve this?” she mumbled. Her sobs grew louder, but she didn’t care; she was all alone, and that didn’t matter.

𖹭

Felix and Mirae went straight to the cafeteria after they were dismissed and met up with the others.

“You didn’t bring Hea with you?” Minho greeted them.

Felix shook my head as we sat down. “Why?” Jisung asked.

“That’s what I’m about to tell you, so listen up,” he stated, and they nodded, paying attention.

“Mrs. Kim said something happened to Hea last week, and she’s not in her best state right now, which is why she’s been absent for days. Her parents asked us to give her some time alone and not interact with her while she copes with something personal,” he explained, and they responded with nods.

“Did she mention the reason?” Seungmin asked eagerly.

He again shook my head. “She said Hea doesn’t want to talk about it. But the thing is, she’s changed. Earlier, I noticed that she looked pale and tired. I can’t explain it exactly, but I know something is off,” Felix said seriously.

“Where is she, anyway?” Jisung asked.

“She was still in class when we left. Should we check on her? We’re her friends, I’m sure it won’t be a problem,” Felix suggested. They nodded in agreement, and walked out of the cafeteria toward their classroom.