Run

TW: Mentions and insinuations of domestic violence, sexual assault, and alcoholism. 

"Alright boys, half an hour and then it's time for bed," instructed the blonde as she took the children's coats and hung them up. Danielle and her two boys, Cole and Isaiah, had just gotten back from a short visit to grandma's house. The trio were now living in a small two bedroom apartment back in Danielle's hometown of Simi Valley, California, along with the boys' father and the blonde's now husband Zach. She had decided to quit acting after falling pregnant with the twins. 

Zach hadn't taken the news very well at first. He had begged Danielle to terminate the pregnancy and wasn't involved in his sons' lives until five years ago when he lost his job. Danielle was hesitant to help the man at first, but after all he was the father of her children. He had given her the best gift anyone could ever ask for, so she decided to help him in return. They had come to the agreement that Zach would only be staying with Danielle and the boys until he was back on his feet; however, that soon changed when their relationship rekindled. It was perfect at first, like nothing had ever happened. Zach was the best father to Cole and Isaiah, and an even better partner. He would promise Danielle the moon and the stars, a life that only he could give her. She fell head over heels for him and they got married about a year later. That's when it all changed. Zach became aggressive. He blamed Danielle for all of his failures and shortcomings. They were now nearing six years together and he had yet to find a stable job, leaving Danielle as the sole provider for the household.

"Where's daddy?" asked Cole as he placed his shoes on the rack by the door.

"I'm not sure bud, but he should be home soon," she responded, running her fingers through the boy's auburn hair as she made her way into the kitchen.

"Is he out drinking again?" added Isaiah. It broke her heart that the boys' once perfect image of their father had now become tainted with addiction. She was disheartened at the fact that he had taught them heartache and disappointment at the young age of eight, wishing that she could turn back the clock and never allow him back into their once perfect lives.

"No, I think he had a job to do with his friend today," she lied. The boys accepted the answer and made their way into their bedroom. The pair were playing quietly, taking advantage of the thirty minutes of free time their mother had allowed them before they had to go to bed. Danielle was in her bedroom across the hall folding the last of the laundry that had been left in the dryer earlier that day, silently hoping that the boys would be asleep by the time Zach got back.

The blonde sighed in relief when she looked at the clock and realized it was time for the boys' bedtime and there was still no sign of her husband.

"Alright you two, bedtime!" she instructed as she made her way over to the twin's room.

"Ten more minutes, please mom!" they begged.

"Alright, fine, but no more," Danielle reluctantly agreed. She made her way back to her bedroom, partially closing the kids' door behind her hoping that they would be distracted enough to not notice the state their father would most likely be in when he came home.

The blonde sat at her vanity as she removed her makeup and made her way through her nightly routine. She hummed quietly as she ran the moist makeup wipe across her face. For once she was happy. A relaxed feeling overcame her until she heard a pair of keys entering the lock on the front door, causing her heart to skip a beat. She quickly glanced in the boys' direction. They were still happily playing, unaware that their father had just gotten home. Zach clumsily made his way through the front door and stumbled into his and Danielle's bedroom.