Vices: Pt 2 (Revised)

For those of you who had read it, I sincerely apologize for the previous version. I too hated it and knew I would eventually rewrite it. So here I am writing this note at 4:30 am because I couldn't sleep. I am actually very happy with how this turned out now and hope that you are too. No, i do not hate the couple. I just tend to start writing without a plan and it tends to take a direction it never meant to lol anyways hope you enjoy.
*****************************************************************************
"Please, make it stop," begged Maya as her body shook uncontrollably. It had been a little over two days since she had taken her last dose, meaning that her withdrawal symptoms were just now reaching their peak. The blonde had been placed in the detox wing at the center where she would be monitored as she made it through some of the worst weeks of her life. She was set to spend about a month of her three month treatment on this floor. The blonde was determined to make it through the entire thing, something she had never accomplished many times before.

"Avrai sorrisi sul tuo viso come ad agosto grilli e stelle (You will have smiles on your face like crickets and stars in August)," sang Maya in an attempt to calm herself. Carina had taught her the infamous lullaby, something that had seemed to ease both Maya and their daughter. It had taken Maya almost all of Carina's pregnancy to learn it, feeling the utmost proud of herself when she was finally able to get a line out without stuttering. The blonde had begun to use the song for herself as it made her feel close to her wife whenever they were away from each other. She continued with the song, her pronunciation slightly off as her teeth chattered incessantly. Maya stared at the ceiling, the words to the song eventually fading away as she drifted off to sleep.

Maya had managed to sleep about an hour before being violently awoken by a sudden wave of nausea. She made an attempt to get up in hopes of getting to the bathroom in time but her body was too weak, causing her to empty her stomach all over the floor in front of her.

"Gross," she mumbled, laying her head into her pillow as she reached for her call button. A nurse walked in a few minutes later, stopping at the door as she saw what lay on the floor in front of Maya's bed.

"Sorry, I tried to get up to the bathroom but I wasn't quick enough," she apologized.

"It's alright, happens to all of us. I'll send someone to clean it up. Is there anything else you need?" asked the woman.

"Um, my wife, she's a doctor and she gave me this thing that I put under my tongue that made all this stop," she said, motioning to her body, "can I get some of that?"

"Oh, naloxone? I can ask. Most centers don't use them as it tends to exacerbate withdrawal symptoms so no promises," she explained. Maya groaned, bringing her knees up to her chest. The contraction of her muscles providing some comfort to her ever aching body.

Maya woke up again a few hours later, the puke that had once sat in front of her now cleaned up. Not a single trace of the nurse that had promised to come back. She laid motionless, staring at the ceiling above her as her body continued to shake and her teeth chattered. The blonde had sweat through most of her clothes at this point, leaving her no other option than to lay in bed in nothing but her sports bra and a pair of boxers.

"One day down, six to go," she was counting the days until she would get to see her wife and daughter again. All she had to do was make sure she made it through detox, something she wasn't so sure she would be able to do at this point. She watched as the clock counted down the remainder of the day. 10 pm. 10:30. 11 pm.

"I'm sorry Carina but I can't. I can't," she said, jumping up and grabbing her clothes. She quickly threw them on, packing all of her stuff as her chest started to tighten. She dug through the many pockets that lined her duffle, breathing heavily as she did. The walls felt like they were closing in on her. She felt trapped. The idea of finally getting her next fix the only thing keeping her grounded. She continued to rummage through her things.  She knew her wife well. She must have some cash in there and she did. Maya's breathing had slowly become more labored and her vision blurry, but she pushed through it. The blonde made her way out to reception, stumbling every few steps.