Chapter 5 - The Base Violence Necessary for Change

(Y/n) POV
IMPORTANT; I'll be releasing the chapters as in the series, in Acts.
-

Vi moves some stray hair out of Powder's face and places a hand on her cheek, causing Powder to lean into the touch with a smile.

Vi reaches over and places a hand on my head before running her hand through my hair and giving my cheek a small rub. I can't stop the smile that reaches my lips as I copy Powder's actions and lean in.

Vi removes her hands from the both of us and looks down at the stuffed rabbit in Powder's hands, the same one that Vi had told us about.

"You know, Powder, (Y/n), what makes you different makes you strong." Vi says as she grabs onto Powder's hand and gives it a squeeze. "Always remember that, okay?"

Powder simply nods, glancing down at the rabbit before looking back up at Vi who walks off, Powder's smile falling.

Powder leans her head against my shoulder--the uninjured one--and holds the rabbit close to her chest.

---

Powder and I walk up the stairs, Powder holding the rabbit in one hand and my own hand in the other.

She sets the rabbit on the counter of Vander's bar which is currently empty.

She takes her own seat and leans her head against her arm as I take a seat next to her, copying her action once again as I watch her fiddle with the rabbit's floppy ear.

Vander watches as Powder plays and takes out a cup with stars and a moon on it, pouring some juice in it and throwing in a straw before setting it in front of the sad looking Powder.

She takes out a cup for me and does the same thing, though, instead of giving Vander a sad look, I take a sip.

Powder simply looks back down as Vander pushes the straw towards her, staring at the rabbit.

Vander picks up the rabbit and a look of realization dawns over him as he stares at it.

I glance down and rest my head back on the counter, staring at Powder's expression.

---

"Well, if the Enforcers hit tonight, we'll be ready..." Mylo states with a smile, looking down at all the materials that him and Claggor had put together to use.

"Dibs on the bat." Claggor calls.

"No, no, no, no, no. I found it." Mylo huffs.

"But I called it."

Powder's head continues to rest in my lap on my leg pillow. Her eyes focused on the stuffed rabbit that she pets.

I frown, sad that there isn't anything I could do for her except continue to be by her side and run my finger through her hair.

Mylo and Claggor continue to go back and forth about the bat but stops as the door opens to reveal Vi.

"Vi?" Claggor mumbles.

Powder instantly gets up, allowing me to stretch out my legs as she runs over to Vi.

"Where's the--"

"Oh, you're back." Powder exclaims with relief, wrapping her arms around her sister tightly.

Powder's smile fades as she notices Vi's fearful and shaken up appearance. Vi takes in a few shaky breaths, nearly letting a few tears fall as she sniffles and walks over to the table that held the weapons Claggor and Mylo were arguing about.

Vi reaches for Vander's gauntlets.

Mylo catches her wrist. "Hey. Those are Vander's. Slow down. What's going on?"