Chapter 10: A Blooming Rose

Author's Notes

Here's chapter 10, hope you enjoy it.

This one's about 23.3K words.

----------

The next day

I let out a sigh as I stare at my cup of coffee while yesterday's events and the discussion last night keeps playing in my mind. I was so drained from everything yesterday that mom and dad let me take today off from school so that I can rest.

I then look up at the woman going through her tablet at the opposite end of the table.

"I know it's not easy to process, but take things slow and let it sink in." Aunt Julia tells while looking at her tablet before she turns her gaze towards me. "Don't overanalyze everything and soon you'll be able to accept it as part of your life, okay, James?"

"I asked you to accept all of it because at this point, it seems like every mystery on this planet is gonna throw itself at you at once. So I think telling you all of that is necessary for you and your well-being moving forward." Aunt Julia adds. It feels odd to see auntie act so seriously.

"I guess so... First it was working at a girl band live house as the only male staff member, then I suddenly ran into supernatural beings and I've been running into more of them after that... Now I discover that my family has some secrets of its own... It's definitely a lot of heavy information to process in a short amount of time..." I say as I stare back at my cup and aunt Julia looks at me in concern before the man leaning against the kitchen counter speaks up.

"An Oni, an artist condemned during the Salem Witch Trials and her surrogate daughter who houses the spirit of hatred and malice, a Lunid, a girl born from the death of a star, a Kitsune, the spirit of celebration, the spirit of nature, a several millennia old tyrant king of the old world, a princess who's experienced and escaped death after 10,000 years, the several millennia old pet parrot of the tyrant king and learned your aunt is the daughter of something older than existence itself... I understand... It's a lot to take in..." Dream says in a tone that sounds concerned, but I can't exactly tell due to his mask. He never took it off. Apparently, he's very well acquainted with aunt Julia too.

"James... we've withheld some information so that you don't experience information overload and crash. You've already had a lot to deal with. However... there's still more... But for now, I need to go... I'm going to visit and relay a message to your twin sister because of how close she is with you..." Dream says before walking out of the dining room and towards the front door. He opens it before looking back at me for a moment.

"When you feel you're at your most absolute peace of mind, that would be a good time to ask what me and her are about to discuss." Dream tells me before walking outside and closing the door behind him.

"There's still MORE? Of course there is..." I complain as my headache flares slowly up again.

"I'm sorry, but we can't just tell you everything all at once. We'll tell you more over time as you grow more accustomed to your new reality." Aunt Julia tells me as Sam squawks from his perch on the window.

Sam flies up to one of the cabinets in the kitchen and opens it up with his talons and grabs a bag of berries before flying them to me. He really is several millennia old... He knows how to open a cabinet, and the fact that he can both understand us and has his own means of communicating with us. It's amazing. Dream definitely had something to do with that, he talks like he has centuries of knowledge, and he literally does.