Chapter 42: A Family's Role

Author's Notes

Back at MBG with chapter 42.

This chapter is 44.4k words long.

----------

The next day

"Nothing ever slows down..." I say as we slowly move through the sewer system under the city, hunting for a giant monster that's been roaming around for apparently a few days now. There haven't been any sightings and no one has been harmed, but there have been reports of suspicious noises with, of course, some people thinking there's a monster down here. Both MAGES and the Suits have been trying to track it down, but to no luck.

Which is where Kagaya-senpai came in, she zeroed a section of the sewer system after reviewing the reports from the past couple of days and so we've cordoned off the sewers to hunt the monster down. We divided ourselves into teams accompanied by Rangers and local SOF to sweep the section Kagaya-senpai 'guessu-ed' to find this monster.

However, the monster is not the most shocking thing here...

"Yes?" Kagaya-senpai says as she notices me staring at her. Not only is she with us down here hunting the monster, she's also geared up and carrying her own weapons.

"Were you the one who taught her?" I ask her Hunkle who's taking point.

"She's 156-0 against Armored Vehicles; APCs, IFV, and Tanks; in VR and real life combined." He replies before he steadily walks forward and peeks around the next corner, leaving us in shock while Kagaya-senpai sheepishly scratches the back of her head.

"To answer your previous question, no, I didn't, she has built, unbuilt, and rebuilt the most detailed, and accurate, plastic model kits of just about every AFV from WW1 to today on the third floor of her private studio. It might do you well to ask her to take you there once we conclude our mission, or during the next time you practice." Commander Hikari says, not dropping his guard for a single moment.

Before anyone can comment, we hear a low, anguished human-like groaning echo throughout the sewers and Kagaya-senpai instantly reacts and steps in between as many open passages as she can and closes her eyes before holding her right index in the air, trying to zero in where the sound came from.

"[It's this way... and... I'm estimating between 7 to 8 feet tall... Human physique, 200 meters tops.]" Kagaya-senpai approximates, surprising us with how she can estimate that much just from sound alone. Her Hunkle quickly steps in front of her and assesses our surroundings before motioning us to keep following him.

"And I thought my hearing was sensitive..." Alisa says, impressed as we follow Commander Hikari.

We advance forward as the groaning slowly grows clearer accompanied with a dragging metallic sound.

"[Sounds like it has a pipe... It sounds hollow... Perhaps a sewage pipe.]" Kagaya-senpai says and I turn to my radio.

"[Vixen Actual, Saber 1-1, we're hearing the creature, we must be getting close.]" I report to Colonel Willow on the radio.

"[You're certain, Lieutenant?]" Colonel Willow replies when suddenly more groaning is heard and Kagaya-senpai instantly holds up her hand and grabs her Hunkle's shoulder.

"[Stop... He's coming our way.]" Kagaya-senpai warns us as we hear the sound of the dragging pipe slowly approaching us as it gets louder and louder.

"[We're about to make contact with the target soon.]" I tell the Colonel urgently as we take positions and aim to the front.

"[It's tight in here, watch your firing lines.]" A Ranger reminds us.

"Shhh." Alisa shushes and everyone quiets down.