Ms M

Maribel sighs as she looks out among her family. Everyone was celebrating her little cousin's first birthday. Antonio was a beautiful little baby boy, born exactly a year ago, a Madrigal's birthday is always a really big deal until they turn five and recieve their gift. The little eleven year old had even made a blanket for Antonio and he was currently wrapped up in it as Tia Pepa and Tio Felix carried him around in it and everyone coos to him while the other guests were looking around at the magical gifts of the family.

Isabela was growing beautiful flower crowns, Luisa was juggling the kids, Camilo was shifting constantly, and Delores was gossiping with everyone, Mama was feeding everyone her amazing cooking, and Tia Pepa had a rainbow following her everywhere. Maribel though? She was sitting in the corner alone, she had tried being apart of the party, but Alma had pushed her to the corner so she wasn't in the way and took attention away from  Antonio. It might hurt less if it also wasn't Maribel's eleventh birthday.

She wishes so badly at least one person would say happy birthday to her, just one person. Was that too much to ask? She got why everyone forgot last year Tia Pepa was in labor and it isn't like Antonio knew he was coming on her birthday.

She also knew Antonio was hope that the magic wasn't dying, that Maribel was a chore no one wanted just because she never got her gift.

Maribel looks up and saw everyone fawning over her siblings and cousins and she can't help, but bursting into tears and runs inside to her room, she laid on her bed crying and asks. "Casita? Why didn't I get a gift?" Casita doesn't know how to help her. She continues crying when she hears a weird sound. Looking up she screams and fell off her bed. She saw a bird at her window seal hooting, it didn't appear to have a neck, had beautiful white feathers, claws, and a letter in it's beak and it had Maribel's name on it.

"I? Can I have that?" Maribel asks. The bird dropped it on her desk before flying off. Maribel looks out the window trying to see where it went, but couldn't see it. Giving up she looks at the envelope and opens it reading it out loud.

"Dear Maribel Madrigal, you have been accepted into Hogwarts school for witch crafter and wizardry, a escort shall arrive later tonight to explain the details of your enrollment and the matter of your fundings. If you accept your enrollment than you shall expect someone else to come down and take you to the school,"

Maribel's eyes lit up that she got accepted into a school, but..... it came from a weird bird so was this a prank? And what's witchcraft? Abuela would know!

   The eleven year old goes back downstairs to the party and found Alma talking to some village lady she was friends with. "Abela! Abela!" she tugs on her grandmother's dress. Alma looks down at the child and forces a smile. "Yes dear?" she asks. "A weird bird gave me this letter and it says I got accepted into a school for witch craft and Wizadry. What are those? Are they magic?" The little girl was quite loud and turned a few heads. Alma looks at the letter and laughs it off. "Oh a childs imagination," she said. "This is real Abela!" She insists. "Maribel we don't have time for your games it's your cousins birthday," Alma said. "But Abela please! It says someone's coming later and," More people were looking at them. "Maribel it's your cousins birthday don't ruin it," Abela said more harshly to the child. "Maribel," The little girl looks at her Papa. "We understand you want more attention, but when it's someones birthday no matter how young," he began to explain.

"But it is my birthday!" She exclaims and the entire party goes quiet looking at her. "Antonio was born on my birthday so it's our birthday now!" She began tearing up. "But no one remembers! I just wanted one person to say happy birthday to me! That's all I wanted," Maribel starts crying. "Maribel! Go to your room!" Abela hisses at the child. "Mama," Juileta said.