Chapter 13

Kyle's Pov

"Bubbee, where are you going?"

I sighed, putting on my green hat, "I'm going to get member berries from Hillvale Farm with my project partner."

"Oh you mean that girl from yesterday? Oh, how cute~"

"M-Mom!"

"Oh you know I'm just teasing you, bubbee."

I grunted, struggling to put on my snow boots. It was currently Saturday, and Y/N agreed over text that she'd meet me at my house before walking over to the farm. I live closer to the farm than she does, so it's not much of an inconvenience.

My mom's head perked up when the sound of our doorbell rang.

"Oh~? Is that her?"

"Probably."

The door was knocked again.

"Coming!" I shouted out, though it wasn't really needed as I was already right in front of the door.

I opened the door and, as expected, Y/N was there. She looked as uncomfortable as last night. Great.

"Hi," was all she muttered.

"Ready to go?" I asked, receiving a small nod in response.

Before my mom could shout embarrassing one-liners at us, we quickly left my house and started to travel to Hillvale Farm.

We both left my house after giving my mom a small 'goodbye.' Just like yesterday, it wasn't very eventful. Y/N didn't say a word, and just aimlessly looked at her surroundings while walking.

I subconsciously played with my zipper out of pure nervous habit while staring at Y/N. I know she said she wasn't going to leave the group, but... questions still lingered at the back of my mind.

She isn't genuinely ok with staying in this group right? With the whole AIDS thing and how awkwardly I've been acting... I severely doubt it.

With no words spoken, we arrived at Hillvale Farm. Explaining our situation, the man working there was kind enough to give us three vines, no charge. That fact was surprising, considering this is South Park. Perhaps he thinks our project will be free exposure to his berries?

In any case, I have unused cash. Maybe I could stop by a few places with Y/N and get some...

Wait, no. Why am I even thinking that? She's uncomfortable with me, obviously.

I held two of the member berry vines, one mine and one Kenny's, and Y/N held her's.

"'Member Pillow Pets?" one of mine spoke.

"You won't remember anything if you end up dying in my experiment," I jokingly mumbled.

A soft chuckle was heard. I snapped my head back to see a bashful Y/N, her free hand covering her mouth.

"Ah, sorry," she apologized.

I stared at her for a few seconds before smiling.

"No no, don't worry. I was just surprised to... well, hear you at all."

"Yeah, sorry I've been silent this whole time."

Y/N stared down at her member berries as she spoke. It was as if she was trying her hardest to not make any eye contact with me.

Not that I blame her.

"Eh, don't worry. It's, uh, natural to be awkward around new people," I nervously laughed, "I mean, we haven't spoken much before this whole science fair thing."

Y/N gave a small smile, "True. I'll try to be more open. Since we will have to hang out more for this project."

I nodded, but a hint of guilt still stung my thoughts.

I know, I just know that she's still thinking about that. What other reason could she have to be like this?

...However, I won't deny she's exceptionally nice about it. All the other girls were blunt and made it very clear they wanted nothing to do with me. Not sure if she's taken some kind of bet or something, but I'm surprised that she's still fine with being even seen with me.

Her willingness to stay with me... it makes me feel...

What is this feeling? It's not love, surely. Love is more cheerful and positive. This, though... it's as if I'm being sucked into a void of guilt.

Why is she doing this?

Maybe she... knows something I don't?

...

...

...

Naaah.