18

Jinyeon POV
a phone call from haknyeon oppa.

"oh, oppa.", i picked up the call.

"yah ju jinyeon where are you?! why are you not home yet?", he asked. "im coming back soon, don't worry oppa.", i replied.

"where are you?! im going to pick you up."

"im... inside a taxi! taxi!", i lied and distanced my phone as i pretended to ask, "sir, can you drive faster? my brother is getting worried." i put the phone back near my ear, "leave some food for me oppa, okay bye!", i hung the call and sighed.

looking at the time, it's been three hours since school ended and sunwoo hasn't come. where the HECK could he be?!

i tried to call sunwoo but he didn't picked up. sending him messages but he's not reading any of them. asked chanhee but he said he didn't saw sunwoo.

"where the heck can you be sunwoo im getting worried!!!", i said out of frustration as i messed up my hair. i finally decided to leave the school café 10 minutes later and went back home.

i sent a message to sunwoo that he doesn't have to come already.

berrywoo

jinyeonty
sunwoo
kim sunwoo
idiot
KIM SUNWOO
HELLO?!
WHERE ARE U?!
did u forget that u have to meet me?!
gosh
don't play with me
READ THE MESSAGES IF U SEE THEM
sigh

jinyeonty
nvm u don't have to come

-

i was on the way to get milk in the convenience store when i see sunwoo sitting on the swing near the playground in our neighbourhood.

WHAT THE HECK KIM SUNWOO—

i walked to sunwoo as i crossed my arms, getting pissed. but as soon as he looked up to me, my heart got softened.

and what's worse was that he looked expressionless, just like that time when he ranted on me. something bad must've happened.

"sunwoo..."

he looked down again as he muttered, "go away."

i sat on the swing beside him as i swung myself a bit, "are you okay?" he shook his head and nodded his head before he actually proceed to shrugging his shoulder, "i don't know."

a bitter smile hung on my face looking at the poor boy, who hurt him... :(

i guess he won't be comfortable telling me what happened, based on what he replied to me. i continued staying with him as silence filled the atmosphere.

he broke the silence a while later as he looked at me and asked, "why are you here?"

i looked at the sky, "just wanted to stay with you. thought that you might need someone to accompany you."

"no, i don't. now go away."

he sounded a bit heartbroken. i couldn't help but to stand up and walked to him as i gave him a hug.

he hugged back as he whispered, "thank you."

-

Sunwoo POV
i just looked at my father with a straight face, as expressionless as possible.

"... im sorry you have to meet your father like this."

father? pfft-

"you should've disappear forever with mom if you don't even care for me when you were the one who hurt me.", i clenched my fist.

"w-what?"

"you and mom never cared for me! all you two care is money!", i tried to hold myself back from being too angry.

i looked at him as i gathered up my courage, "i was left to stay with another family in the age of 10 because of money. whenever i see people being happy with their family, i thought of you two and always suffer alone! you two said that you will visit me at least on december, and everytime i wait, but nothing happens! all you care about is money and money! do you two even see me as your son?!"

"sunwoo... i- it's not what you think it is, sunwoo.", he said and continued.

"you see... your mother got into an accident when we were about to come back here last time, and she can't really walk that she needs me and my care. and we had to pay the hospital fee which costs a lot. i had to work days and nights to pay them in order for your mother to have better treatment. that didn't help much and we couldn't pay so she had to discharge and stayed at home. i worked for nearly a year before we finally had enough money for her to admit into another hospital and get treatment."

he took a deep breath before he continued.

"she can't really walk properly even if her leg was fully healed and it took almost a year to get healed. she had to only walk for short distance and so i need to earn money for any daily basis for her to be able to walk properly again. sunwoo, we are really sorry for not contacting you. we went back here two years ago and we couldn't find eric's family so we didn't think much of ways to get back to you. im sorry...", he sniffed.

i tried to not cry as i scoffed, "does that means you can not give a care to me when you hit me that accident?!"

"sunwoo... im sorry."

i got out of the room, not wanting to continue the conversation with him any further. the police officer stepped up to me, "kim sunwoo, do you want to continue the investigation or not?"

i raised my eyebrow, "what do you mean by the investigation?"

"the investigation continues with getting solid evidence of the crime, and if its really him who harmed you then he will have to be in jail for nearly 6 months."

i... stopped thinking.

can i really be like this?

they're my parents after all....

-

"you have a week to consider this. and if you made a decision, let me know through call, you have my number already."

i sat on the swing as i kept thinking.

i don't know, should i? should i not? he really did something wrong. but... does mom still needs him? is half a year of jail too much? can he handle it?

no, why am i thinking of that. i hate him.

-

jinyeon hugged me.

as she broke the hug, i pulled her back into my embrace and hugged her tighter. it was warm, it feels safe, the hug.

"listen, what would you do if someone you hate does something bad to you, and now you have to choose either to punish them or not?", i whispered, not wanting people around to hear.

she hummed, "i think..."

she broke the hug again and looked at me with a bitter smile, "i would let go. if that something bad they did, brings me something else good. i think seeing them suffer wouldn't pay back my lost and cure back where i've gotten hurt. even if them suffering might make me feel better, that happiness is really a short one. i wouldn't like hate to take over me."

i just nodded as i looked at the ground.

the accident brings me... hana.

i smiled.

and so my answer is no.

---