Chapter 3; The Fall of Wall Maria

Year 845

"I just think we should have been born with retractable wings so we could travel the world without thinking about the titans", you told Connie while dangling upside down by your legs on a tree not far from his house. It was quite late in the day already, the sun showing the last of its light before night would creep up and darken the sky. Connie laid in the grass beneath you with his hands tucked under his head, thinking about what you said with a thoughtful expression.

"Yeah, like an insect!", he chimed, and you cringed at that.

"NO! Not an insect, that's gross!"

"But they have retractable wings! Like you said!", he retorted, meeting your gaze.

"Yeah I know dummy, but I was thinking more in the lines of birdwings or something", you explained with a sigh, shivering by the thought of having wings like a scarab beetle.

"But that's not possible—"

"Connie, having insect wings aren't possible either", you interrupted him with a laugh.

"Well at least they are retractable, so it makes more sense than yours!"

You rolled your eyes, letting the subject go.

"Hey, would you rather have three legs and one arm or three arms and one leg?", he asked you after a long pause. If you had just met Connie, you would be puzzled by this random thought, but discussions such as these that would be deemed completely insignificant and meaningless to others is probably 60% of what your conversations consisted of. If there was something on your mind, you talked about it; no matter how stupid or strange it was. To you it was the most important thing in the moment.

"Three arms and one leg", you declared after some thought, and Connie narrowed his eyes at you.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You can get more done with three arms; you have an extra hand to help at all times!"

"But you would be skipping around all clumsy", he questioned you. "I would have three legs. That way I can run even faster!"

"Yeah I guess that makes sense...", you said strained while hoisting yourself up to the branch, and dropping down to the ground. "And I guess with an extra foot—", you looked down at Connie with a mischievous look, "—I could kick you more efficiently!", you said, playfully demonstrating by kicking him in his side. He winced surprised.

"Hey!". Before you could get to running, he grabbed your wrist and used it to pull himself up from the ground. You wriggled free of his grasp and ran to hide behind the tree, peeping out to locate where he was. You picked up some acorns from the ground, throwing them at him once he started moving towards you.

"Oh, so that's how you wanna play it?", he said, picking up some acorns of his own, throwing them whenever you'd peep out. He hit you a few times, and opted to chase you down. You were no longer safe behind the vast trunk, laughing as you ran away.

You ended up running into the vicinity of the village, spotting a crowd of people mumbling by the centre from where you stood. You thought it was strange, but shook out of it once you heard Connie yell complacent remarks after you, realizing he had the upper hand now that you stopped.

"Gotcha!", he said, jumping onto your back. You exhaled harshly from the impact, but laughed as he started rubbing the top of your head with a closed fist.

"Connie stop", you tried shaking him off but his other arm where clutched in place around your neck there he lazily hung draped across your back. You didn't even hear the door to his house open, or the footsteps approaching you.