03 ❧ the three little onis

Life was already hard for you

Life was already hard for you. Getting up before the sun rose and heading to your office at the EM agency to evaluate the mitigation activities of the Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment plan was exhausting. Every day was the same routine, a never-ending cycle that you despised.

It was considerably more difficult now that you had to coexist with another person. An annoying one to say the least. An individual who values peace and quiet living with an irritating talker who constantly has something to say was a bad match.

Yesterday was supposed to be your day but instead, you spent it transporting Itto's belongings to your residence. With you two being so inseparably linked, a decision on where to live had to be made. Surprisingly, Itto agreed to stay at your place for whatever reason, stating that you'll both need to get used to living together for the "future."

You took heed of what he packed and it all seemed normal at first. Clothes, hair products, his enormous claymore, and so forth. But then things became odd. He began to pack weird costumes and even attempted to take his beetle cage with him. Despite his dramatic pleas, you refused to let that into your home and of course you got your way. He agreed, murmuring something along the lines of "happy wife, happy life."

That was just the 'moving in' phase, which was already challenging enough. For some inexplicable reason, it never occurred to you that this circumstance would be crucial to your career. You had no idea how difficult it would be to go to work with him attached.

You flicked to the next page of the hefty report, reading each paragraph expertly from left to right for any grammatical or format issues. When you discovered even the smallest error, your lips would press together in disappointment as you circled the mistake in bright red ink.

Normally, you'd be done within an hour but today was different. There was a major distraction on your right side that prevented you from functioning to your full potential.

You reasoned that having Itto sit next to you while you worked would bore him. The small vibration of his heel continuously pounding the ground, followed by his irritated groan, pretty much said it all. "Oh my—how much longer? I'm starting to get real bored over here." He complained, letting his head fall back as he stared up at the ceiling. Everything in this room was monotonous, especially since you chastised him for everything he touched.