14 ❧ can u keep a promise?

"Help

"Help...!"

"..."

"Heelp...!!"

"..."

"HEALPP-" It was a miracle you didn't have to slap your palm over Itto's lips to get him to stop talking, his repetitious and irritatingly infantile tantrum doing the honours for you.

"Wait—actually, help-" He seized your fingers and shook them wildly to gain your attention, his other hand balled into a fist and pounding his chest as he let out old man coughs. "My throat's dry. I can't-" He gasped loudly, collapsing to the floor and closing his eyes in feigned weariness. "I can't breathe. Quick, I need mouth to mouth."

Itto had the audacity to pucker his lips as if he hadn't just 'passed out', evidently not requiring medical treatment and hoping for a sensual kiss instead. A drama queen wasn't even a close enough description for him as he laid flat on his back, still in a sleeping beauty state.

You didn't say anything as you redirected your focus to the jail bars, reasoning that it was far more vital to plan a seamless getaway. Because of your disinterest, the oni quickly ceased his performance, lifting his head to glare at you, clearly insulted. "Wha-wow. So you're just going to let me die like that?"

Reaping the benefits of your spare time, you peered around the cell with clueless eyes before noticing him and the circumstances he was in. "Did something happen?" It was well worth it. You were dying inside by the way his eyes leaped out of their sockets and how his jaw plummeted to the floor. It was easy to play around with Itto since you always received the desired reaction.

"Wow... I can't believe this." His voice was childlike, coupled with a matching pout that had you fighting back a giggle. All you could do was innocently grin. You could only delay the reaction for so long, so you shifted your head, pretending the brick wall was more interesting.

"I'm not speaking to you." Itto was serious—to say the least—and turned over to his side, somewhat tugging your linked arm with him. If this didn't demonstrate that his juvenile behaviour outweighed his age, you weren't sure what would. You didn't think much of it since he couldn't hold a grudge for more than a minute. Resigning yourself to your own zone, you held on to the cold steel bar in misery as you gazed beyond.