18 ❧ know your worth

Thirty minutes

Thirty minutes.

You, Itto, and the gang were thirty minutes late for the banquet, which threw the well-thought-out plan off by a massive proportion.

Getting prepared on your part was simple, but you had no idea how arduous it would be to assist with dressing the giant oni. It had nothing to do with the sizing—which was perfect and should have been for how much you paid—but with the fact that he wouldn't stop complaining about how uncomfortable or itchy the clothes were. That resulted in him wearing a blazer jacket with no dress shirt underneath—just his black leather harness.

After that was resolved, the two of you raced to the venue, not without squabbling along the way. It was mostly one-sided on both ends, with you complaining about how he was going to be the reason why you two wouldn't be allowed inside and him complaining about not being aware that attending the event entailed participating in track and field—a pastime caused by his tardiness, which only justified your case.

Your feet were hurting from all the speed walking, but it paid off as you two arrived at the location.

You offered the allocated bouncer, who you were previously familiar with, a phony smile, and he let you in with a nod. Of course, Itto couldn't help himself and acted all buddy buddy with the poor man, giving him hard pats on the back as a greeting without recognizing his own strength. You nearly died when you turned around to take in the aftermath, seeing the man now on his knees, gasping for oxygen, while two other guards raced to check on him.

The venue was spacious and stunning—everything you were used to, yet far too much for your liking. There was an air filled with live music, chatter, and laughter as nicely dressed individuals mingled gracefully. Perhaps, under different circumstances—the people in attendance—you could have genuinely relished the grandeur of the event.

"Ah, well don't mind if I do." Itto chuckled as he took a cup of sake from a server who didn't even notice him. You smacked his hand and shook your head, eliciting an ow from the oni. "Follow the plan. Then you can do whatever you want." You remind him as you set the cup down on an adjacent table, earning you a sarcastic eyeroll.