04 ❧ when disaster strikes

Itto stood outside the restroom with the door half-closed while you slipped on your white chiffon blouse, tucking the extra fabric under your black skirt

He turned his entire body away, even though it hurt his arm, and cured his boredom by playing with a snow globe Ayaka had given you for your birthday. Caution clearly wasn't in his vocabulary as he accidentally cracked the side of the glass with his pointed nail. He noticed right away and immediately placed it back down on your drawer, whistling away like nothing had happened.

Today was a critical day for you as the Office of the Chief. Every year, a meeting would be held at the end of each month to review whether the HIRA's implemented strategies were effective and if not, what needed to be improved. The agency would gather important individuals such as yourself, expert advisers, the programme development officer, members of the Tri-Commission, and so on.

Even though it wasn't your first time attending a meeting like this, you felt extremely stressed because you were going to be in a room full of high-ranking people. No matter how many times you went through this, you were always nervous—afraid that you'd say or do something that would get you fired. The pay was too good and you didn't want to jeopardize your financial stability due to a blunder.

You were so nervous that Itto had to remind you of the time, causing you to hurriedly touch up your casual makeup and fix your hair before leaving. You almost forgot about your tote, which he thankfully picked up on the way out.

Your agency's conference room was wonderfully set up and you had no one to thank but your team. You and Itto sat at the far end of the room to avoid anyone finding out about the issue, although they'd definitely find out later anyhow. After arranging your documents in front of you, a sigh escaped your lips as you tried to distract yourself from the uncomfortable sensation you were feeling.

"Stop second-guessing yourself. You'll do amazing." Itto comforted you the moment he spotted your detached demeanour. He placed his hand on your leg and gently massaged it, which made you feel even more nervous. You stiffened up quickly when his palm made touch with your clad thigh and looked up at him. His bemusement informed you that it wasn't done maliciously but when he recognized how nasty the circumstance could be, his straight lips changed into a sneer. "Ah, who knew that the tough Ms. Policeman was secretly dirty~?"