(15) Lucky

"Lucky to have been where I have been.
Lucky to be coming home again."
-Jason Mraz and Colbie Calliat

"Lacey, who are you voting for prince and princess?" I asked her as we sat in math on Thursday. The voting had just opened today and the winners would be announced later on.

She picked up her iPad and showed me her picks. Ryder James was who she wrote for the prince and my name was in the princess category.

"Why?" I laughed as I selected Braxton and Lacey.

She shrugged. "I told everyone to vote for you two. Now, will you tell me what is going on between you guys?"

I rolled my eyes and looked around the room. Sure enough, several people were putting mine and Ryder's names in.

"So?" she questioned.

I lowered my voice to a whisper and she craned her neck to listen to me. "I think we're talking."

She smiled and nearly burst with excitement. "Oh my gosh! I can't believe it! But what do you mean by, 'I think?'"

"We haven't exactly said we were, but we have hung out and stuff."

"Have you kissed?"

I blushed and fiddled with my fingers. "You have! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Braxton and I knew it!" she exclaimed.

"Shh, don't tell anyone. We don't want my dad finding out."

"Tell me all the details."

"I will when we aren't around a bunch of people, okay?"

"Perfect. Now we can go on double dates and do all sorts of fun stuff and ugh, I am so excited!"

-

When I left math, Ryder met me outside, and we shared a hug.

"So I think people are catching on to us."

He chuckled. "No doubt. I guess it's no biggie if people at school know. It's just your dad we have to worry about."

"Good point. I guess a bunch of people voted for us to be royalty."

Ryder smiled and nodded. "Braxton made a big deal about voting for us to my class, which Carew just so happens to be in. He looked pissed by the way."

"Sounds like he's realizing his place."

-

Ryder and I were leaving our eighth period that day when an announcement came over the speakers to the entire school. Our names, along with several others, were asked to report to the office.

"What could that be for?" he asked with a knowing smile.

"Hmm, I don't know. We must be in trouble!" I responded sarcastically as we made our way to the office.

He held the door open for me. Several other students were in there. More specifically, two freshmen, two sophomores, and 10 seniors.

"Perfect! They're all here," said Mr. D'Cruz. "So, I'll start off by saying congrats! You were all chosen as this year's royalty."

I smiled up at Ryder, who chuckled. A leadership student came around and handed out sashes that said the grade, the year, and the title of the student on it. Mine said, '2021 Junior Princess.'

Then, tiaras were handed to all the girls and we all put them on. "You look cute," whispered Ryder.

Mr. D'Cruz instructed us on what we were supposed to do as royalty, which was mostly just attending next week's football game and wearing our tiaras and sashes around school.