‧ Chapter 14

January, 2018

January, 2018.

Smriti's POV

"I can't believe you'll be leaving soon.", my friend Naysha pouts at me.

"I can't either." I tell her with a small, sad smile "But I have to, because I have no other options."

"Technically you do have the option of getting an internship here. You just do each and every thing that your father wants you to." Arjun, another friend of mine says and I glare at him.

"How's listening to my dad a bad thing?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"It actually isn't. What meant to say is that as long as you want to do what your dad wants you to do, it's alright." Arjun explains "But you don't have to do something just because he wants you to."

Too late for that conversation Arjun, I studied Engineering for four years.

"Why will she not want to go to Chennai?  She'll be meeting her lover boy after a long time after all." she wiggles her eyebrow at me and I feel my cheeks turn red.

"Ashwin isn't my lover boy for god's sake." I roll my eyes at her "Him and I broke up two years ago remember?"

"Let me remind you that you both didn't want to do that, it only happened because you had to come here." Naysha tells me.

For somebody who didn't even know me during my relationship with Ashwin, Naysha knew everything about it too well. Of course, I was the one who told her but she remembered everything about it much better than our MBA syllabus.

"That did happen but I'm pretty sure he must dating someone else now, it's quite easy to fall in love with him you know. He's got the most likeable personality, he must've had atleast a few girls wanting to date him." I sigh.

"Well let's hope that you turn out to be lucky. Where will you be staying in Chennai though?" Arjun asks.

"Oh I'll be staying at my mom's older brother's place." I tell them "Some of my relatives from my dad's side stay there too, but I feel more comfortable at my maternal uncle and aunt's place so I just chose to stay there."

Mom's side of relatives>>>Dad's side, always.

"I really wish I didn't have to leave." I sigh "I miss you guys and this place a lot."

"We'll miss you too." Naysha sighs as she pulls me into a side hug.

"Just keep in touch. If you don't, I'm kidnapping you from there and bringing you back here." Arjun ruffles my hair and I crack into laughter in response.

Although seperating from my friends and India was hard and hurt a lot, Canada brought in so much change and made me a calmer person. I don't what brought in that side of me, the atmosphere of the country or just me being really far from my home and family. But I felt better in a way, and all of it wouldn't have happened if Ashwin hadn't convinced me.

He had always made my life so much better.

I was so happy here at Canada but there were so many times where I missed Bhavish, Aastha and him so much. All those days where we'd all just goof around, be dramatic and try to pull each other's legs would occasionally flash into my head. They were the most supportive bunch of people I'd been around.

I'd been working part time at a Cafe too, because I wanted to save some money for myself so that I could just cover a few expenses when I needed it. And there were many times I'd see couples at the Cafe too and my mind would immediately fly to those dine outs I used to have with Ashwin.

I was still in touch with him, we'd talk once in a while. His career was going on well too with short films, music videos and a TV serial. I'd still been watching all of it, as usually from the sidelines but I really wish I could go back to just being around him. Just those little dates and hang outs, both of us being dramatic and even cheesy and mushy at times. The serotonin boost I got whenever I was with him was just insane.

Hopefully everything would be normal when I go back to Chennai.

Ashwin's POV

"And cut, great job guys!" the director exclaims as we finish the take of the advertisement shoot.

A smile forms on my face at the director's appreciation. It might have been a short one but that's all I needed, to be good at my job and make the directors I'm working with satisfied too.

After taking rest for a bit, I go out the small balcony that was there in one of the corners of the building we were shooting at. I squint my eyes as I recognise the ECR beach which seemed to be around this area.

The corner of my lips lifted into a smile as I remembered the day Smriti and I had spend in the beach when we'd come to Chennai for one of my auditions and for an event that she had to participate in.

Gosh I missed being around her so much.

We still managed to keep in touch despite us breaking up and her being miles away. We obviously didn't text or talk very frequently because of the differing time zones and her being very busy with her studies as well as her part time job. But we'd still talk once in a while about how our lives were going on and even wished each other on special occasions.

She would even post pictures on social media from Canada and everytime I saw them it made me so glad she decided to go there because if she stayed at Bangalore with her family, I just know for a matter of fact that she would've been suffocated because of her parents taunting her for the smallest of things. When she studied at Coimbatore, there were many times she used to end up being a mess even after staying with her family for short vacations and it always took a few days for her to come back to her enthusiastic self.

Everytime I spoke to her, I could sense it in her voice that Canada definitely bought out a more calmer and happier side of her and that made me so happy. She was finally at a place that made her feel at peace. She was even going to get graduated soon.

I missed those days where she'd encourage me and helped me believe than I will make it to the industry one day. There are certain days where I felt the need to hear that and I just wanted to talk to her about it. But I didn't do it because I was worried about disturbing her.

It was just like everything was going on great it in our lives but there was just a missing piece to the puzzle.

Author's note

Hiiiii I'm back after so long😬 Was initially busy with my exams and then ended up testing positive for COVID so I wasn't really in the head space to come up with anything for my works.

But I've tested negative so here I am hehe, I hope y'all liked the chapter :)

Smriti and Ashwin will be back together very soon. Just wrote this chapter up because I feel like it's as important to about a couple being apart as much as their moments together are.

Also I was wondering if I could create an account on Instagram and Twitter, to give updates about my write-ups and everything. Please do let me know if you'd like that :)

I'll be back soon, lots of love
~Saisha♡

Published on: 23 January 2022