TWO

Doha, Qatar

The sound of applause filled the hall as I finished my recitation. My heart still raced, but a sense of relief washed over me. As I descended the stage, I noticed Fatima and Imtisal doing a love sign over their head for me. I shook my head and made a mental note to speak to them about their boldness , but I pushed that aside for now.

As the competition continued, I tried to focus, but my thoughts kept drifting back to the brother. Who was he? And why did he make me feel this way?

After the competition ended, our school was announced as the second-place winner. Although we didn't win, everyone was in high spirits. We celebrated with laughter and cheerful chatter as we made our way out of the hall.

"I told you, Hidaya, you did great!" Imtisal said, squeezing my hand.

"Alhamdulillah, it was a team effort," I replied, smiling.

Just as we were about to board the bus, I heard a familiar voice behind me. "Hidaya Noura, wait a moment."

I turned around to see the brother from earlier walking toward me, accompanied by another man who seemed to be a bit older. My heart skipped a beat, and I tried to steady my breath.

"Assalam Alaikum," he greeted.

"Wa Alaikum Assalam," I replied, trying to keep my composure.

"I'm Ahmed, by the way. I wanted to congratulate you on your recitation. It was truly beautiful," he said, his eyes sincere.

"JazakAllah Khair," I said, feeling a blush creep up my cheeks.

"This is my older brother, Yusuf," Ahmed introduced, gesturing to the man beside him. Yusuf had a calm demeanor, his eyes holding a wisdom that suggested he had seen much of the world.

"Nice to meet you both," I said politely.

"I've heard a lot about your school's Quran program," Yusuf said. "You all did an excellent job today."

"Thank you, Yusuf," I said, feeling more at ease. "It's a collective effort from all the students and teachers."

"Ahmed, we should let them get going. The bus is waiting," Yusuf reminded him.

"Of course," Ahmed said. "It was nice meeting you, Hidaya. I hope we cross paths again."

"Insha'Allah," I replied.

As they walked away, Imtisal nudged me. "So, that's Ahmed," she teased. "He's quite charming."

"Stop it, Imtisal," I said, laughing. "We just met."

Back on the bus, the chatter continued, but my mind was elsewhere. Who was Ahmed, really? And why did our brief interaction feel so significant?

••••

That evening, I couldn't stop thinking about Ahmed. There was something about him that drew me in. I wondered if I would ever see him again, and what it would mean if I did.

The next day, life returned to its usual routine. Classes, homework, and family occupied my time, but Ahmed's face lingered in my thoughts.

A week later, as I was leaving the university library, I saw Ahmed again. He was sitting on a bench, reading a book. I hesitated for a moment before approaching him.

"Assalam Alaikum, Ahmed," I greeted.

He looked up, surprised but pleased. "Wa Alaikum Assalam, Hidaya. What a pleasant surprise."

"I didn't expect to see you here," I said, taking a seat beside him.

"I'm actually a student here. I was studying for an exam," he explained, showing me his book.

We talked for a while, about our studies, our families, and our faith. The more I learned about Ahmed, the more I felt a connection growing between us. He was thoughtful, intelligent, and kind.

As the sun began to set, Ahmed looked at his watch. "I should get going. It was really nice talking to you, Hidaya."

"Likewise," I replied. "Good luck with your exam."

"Thank you. Insha'Allah, we'll meet again soon," he said, smiling.

"Insha'Allah," I echoed.

As I walked home, I realized that meeting Ahmed had brought something new into my life-a sense of possibility and excitement that I hadn't felt before. And I couldn't wait to see where this unexpected journey would lead me.