FOUR

Doha, Qatar

The days following my second encounter with Ahmad were filled with a new sense of excitement. Thoughts of him frequently drifted into my mind, and I found myself looking forward to seeing him again.

One afternoon, as I was walking to the library for my usual study session, I saw Ahmad sitting on a bench outside, reading. He looked so focused, and I couldn't help but admire his dedication. Gathering my courage, I walked over to him.

"Assalam Alaikum, Ahmad," I greeted.

He looked up and smiled, his face lighting up. "Wa Alaikum Assalam, Hidaya. It's good to see you."

"Mind if I join you?" I asked, gesturing to the empty space beside him.

"Not at all," he said, moving his books to make room for me.

We spent the next hour talking about our studies, our families, and our dreams. I learned that Ahmad was currently offering Islamic studies and had a deep passion for teaching and spreading knowledge. His dedication to his faith and education was inspiring.

As the sun began to set, casting a golden glow over the campus, Ahmed glanced at his watch. "We should head home soon. It’s getting late."

"Yes," I replied. "I have some assignments to finish."

We stood up, and as we walked towards the parking lot, I felt a sense of comfort in Ahmad's presence. He was easy to talk to, and his calm demeanor put me at ease.

Before we parted ways, Ahmad turned to me. "Hidaya, would you like to join me for coffee sometime? I’d love to continue our conversation."

My heart skipped a beat. "That sounds nice. I’d like that."

"Great," he said, smiling. "I’ll see you soon, Insha'Allah."

"Insha'Allah," I echoed.

••••

Driving home, I felt a sense of contentment. Talking with Hidaya had been a highlight of my day, and I was looking forward to getting to know her better.

That evening, as I sat with my family for dinner, Mamu noticed my good mood. "You seem happy today, Ahmad. Did something good happen?"

I smiled. "Just had a good day, Mamu. Made some new friends."

"That's wonderful," she said. "Friendship is a blessing."

I nodded, thinking about Hidaya and how our paths had crossed so unexpectedly. Over the next few days, I found myself thinking about her often, her smile, her grace, and her dedication to her studies.

A week later, I texted her, suggesting we meet at a café on campus. She agreed, and we set a time for the next day.

When I arrived at the café, Hidaya was already there, sitting at a table by the window. She looked up and smiled when she saw me.

"Assalam Alaikum," she greeted.

"Wa Alaikum Assalam," I replied, taking a seat across from her. "I hope you didn’t wait long."

"Not at all. I just got here," she said.

We ordered our drinks and settled into a comfortable conversation. Hidaya told me about her favorite books, her dreams of traveling, and her love for baking. I shared stories from my childhood and my aspirations to become a bigger Islamic scholar.

As we talked, I realized how much I enjoyed her company. She was intelligent, kind, and had a gentle humor that made me laugh. The more I learned about her, the more I felt a connection growing between us.

At one point, she looked thoughtful. "Ahmad, do you ever wonder about fate? How certain people come into your life at just the right moment?"

I nodded. "Yes, I do. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that Allah has a plan for us all."

"Me too," she said softly. "Meeting you has made me think about that a lot lately."

Her words touched me deeply. "I feel the same way, Hidaya."

As the evening drew to a close, I felt a sense of anticipation for what the future might hold. Walking her to her car, I felt a newfound sense of purpose and excitement.

"Thank you for today, Ahmad. I had a great time," she said, her eyes reflecting the same emotions I felt.

"Me too, Hidaya. Let’s do this again soon."

"Insha'Allah," she said with a smile.

Driving home, I felt a mix of emotions. I was excited about the possibility of a future with Hidaya, yet I was also mindful of the responsibilities and challenges that lay ahead. I knew that whatever happened, I wanted to face it with faith and trust in Allah's plan.

As I parked my car and walked into the house, I felt a sense of peace. I greeted my family and joined them for evening prayers, grateful for the blessings in my life and hopeful for the journey ahead.

••••

The days that followed our coffee meeting were filled with a renewed sense of purpose. Ahmad and I continued to meet regularly, our conversations growing deeper and our bond stronger.

One evening, as we walked around the campus gardens, Ahmad turned to me with a serious expression. "Hidaya, there's something I need to tell you."

I looked at him, concerned. "What is it, Ahmad?"

He took a deep breath. "I’ve been thinking a lot about our future. I believe that we are meant to be together, Insha'Allah. I want to talk to my family about you and take the next steps, if you feel the same way."

My heart swelled with emotion. "Ahmad, I feel the same. I’ve been praying for guidance, and I believe that Allah has brought us together for a reason."

He smiled, relief and happiness evident in his eyes. "Alhamdulillah. Let’s take this journey together, with faith and trust in Allah."

"Insha'Allah," I agreed, feeling a sense of peace and excitement for the future.

As we walked back, hand in hand, I knew that this was just the beginning of our story—a halal love story that would be built on faith, trust, and the blessings of Allah.