One

Graduating from Ohio State had to be one of the best highlights of my life. I couldn't believe that I was done and going on with my Bachelor's in Sports Psychology. I don't know what I want to do with it yet, so for now, I'm living with my dad out in Kansas City, yes my dad is Mike Matheny, the Kansas City Royals Manager.

It's the end of June now and they were just finishing up a series against the Blue Jays before heading off on a road trip. Today was family day at the stadium so the whole family was getting together and hanging out with the team. 

"Hey there superstar, you almost ready to go?" My dad asked coming into my room. "Yeah just have to get the jersey on and then I'm good." I said looking at him with a smile. "Why do you feel the need to dress up and put on makeup to go to a baseball game?" He asked. 

"Cause it makes me feel good?" I said. "Not trying to impress guys are we?" He asked. "Dad, I just graduated college, of course I'm looking for guys now." I said rolling my eyes. "Well none of the guys on the team, got it?" He said. 

"Dad, I'm 22, you can chill out." I said and he laughed. "Yeah, that will never happen, you're my baby girl." He said and left the room. I sighed and got up and put on my special Matheny jersey with my number 23 on the back. 

I was also wearing a black crop top with jean shorts and a pair of converse as well. I grabbed everything I needed to head to the park with my dad. "Hey dad, I'm ready to go." I said as I came downstairs. 

We both said goodbye to my mom as she was going to meet us there. "Now, don't pay any attention to the guys, they're just a mess and will want to mess with you." He said as we were walking into the stadium. 

"Dad, I'm an adult I think I'll be fine." I said. "Matheny!" I heard from behind us and my dad and I both turned around. "Oh sorry, the boy Matheny, although haven't seen you around. Whit, nice to meet you." Whit said coming up to the both of us. 

"Katie, nice to meet you. I'm his daughter." I said with a smile, this man was handsome, dad can't tell me shit now. "Mike, you've been hiding her this whole time, what's wrong with you?" He asked and my dad smiled. 

"I haven't been hiding her, she's been at Ohio State getting her degree in Sports Psychology, she just hasn't been around. But she's off limits." He said and I rolled my eyes. "Dad, stop, I am not off limits, I'm 22 let me do me for once will you?" I said and Whit laughed. 

"You're my baby girl and I'm going to protect you at all costs, got it?" He said and I nodded. "It was great to meet you Whit, I'll see you later, have a great game." I said and hugged my dad before walking on to the field and up to our seats. 

"Hey sweetie, up so soon from the clubhouse?" My mom said as I sat next to her. "Yeah dad was giving me the talk again about protecting me after I was talking to Whit, who is super cute by the way." I said. 

"I hate when your dad gives you that talk. I am on your side of you can do whatever you want since you're an adult. And yes, don't tell your dad this but I agree he is very cute." She said and I laughed. "Have you met him before?" I asked. 

"Yeah I have, when you were off at school he's come over for dinner a couple of times, he's super sweet and has great manners, and I've learned that he's single." She said. "Dad would have my head if he and I were to end up together." I said .

"If that ever happens, you let me handle your dad. I got your back on this one sweetie." She said. "Thanks mom, I knew I could count on you." I said with a smile. "I just want more grandkids that's all." She said and I laughed. 

"How did I know that's what you wanted?" I asked as the game had now started. "I just love kids, that's all. I want to make sure that all my kids are happy and healthy and then worry about having grandkids and whatnot. I want to have a huge family to spoil." She said. 

Watching Whit play baseball was just amazing to me. The way he went about playing the field and doing his pre at bat rituals, just something about him was so mesmerizing to me. "You're staring." My mom said leaning over to me. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said looking away from her and blushing. They ended up losing 8-2, but everyone seemed to be alright about it since family day was upon them and they got to spend time with their families before going on a road trip. 

I got to know most of the guys and I hadn't really seen Whit at all, so that was kind of disappointing. "Are you looking for someone?" I heard from behind me. I turned around and saw Whit and I smiled. 

"I was, but not anymore." I said and he smiled. "I saw you watching me today." He said. "Wow that sounds like a creep that I was watching you. You're amazing at baseball." I said. "I don't think you were a creep, but before I left I just had to tell you that I think you're beautiful." He said and I blushed. 

"Don't let my dad hear you tell me that, he'll have a fit, but thank you. You're not so bad looking yourself." I said and he smiled. "I'm cool with sneaking around, but I want to get to know you more, do you think I could have your number?" He asked. 

"You can." I said and I gave him my number. "Great, I'll text you later. I'll see you when we come home?" He asked and I nodded. 

"So what was that all about?" My mom asked coming up to me. "He called me beautiful and I gave him my number, he wants to get to know me better." I said. "Don't fall too fast, I don't want you to get hurt since he's on the road too much." She said. 

"I know, that's the downside of everything on this." I said and sighed. But I can't help but think about him and how he called me beautiful. But my mom is right, I do have to take this slow and remember he does play baseball and away from Kansas City most of the time. 

*I've had this story written for awhile, and have a good amount of it ready to be published, here goes nothing!*