Chapter 1 - A good start

Even if there was a sad reason for this evening, Harvey's departure, they were friends who were close to each other. Like a family. Jessica was right. Harvey, Louis and she had forgotten more and more what is still important in life because of the job. Friendships and love. All three of them had achieved a lot professionally in the past year, their law firm has become one of the best in town, but all of that success has come at the expense of their private lives, their relationships with one another and with others. Apart from work, everything else was neglected. Jessica had by now understood why Harvey and Louis became so different last summer, while Harvey tried to make up for it, he fought for someone else on the side and Louis fought with his friend. She wasn't a good friend to him, she had to learn to give him more freedom to trust him even when he wasn't in the office to do a good job. Now she was proud of him that he had managed to win Elizabeth over. That he dares to start a family with her and that Elizabeth will now accompany him through this difficult time.

So it was Jessica who suggested to end the evening of Harveys for the time being the last working day in the office together with a meal. She wanted to show Harvey how much she valued him, that she understood him and stood behind him, as did the rest of his work family.

Sheila and Simon joined them. So they all sat at a large table and enjoyed delicious food while having good conversation. Everyone forgot for a moment that Harvey was sick. Nobody talked about it. Nobody thought that they would soon be working without him.

After dinner they decided to go to a dance bar. Even Harvey had enough strength to carry on after the morning surgery. The pregnant friends Elizabeth and Donna weren't tired either. They danced and celebrated together. Even Louis came out of himself and showed that he could dance.

While Elizabeth was enjoying a non-alcoholic cocktail alone in a quiet corner and watching the others dance, Jessica came up to her in her black tight cocktail dress. *She's an amazing woman, I'd love to be that confident one day. No wonder Harvey admires them.*

Can I take a seat? asked Jessica.

Yes, please, Mrs. Pearson. answered Elizabeth.

Please call me Jessica. You belong to the family. I hope you know.

Thank you, Elizabeth said while Jessica sat down with her. Thoughtfully she asked: May I ask how you knew then that Isabel had manipulated the files and not me?

There was someone who trusted you. He asked me to trust you.

Harvey ?!

I did not say that. Legal confidentiality. A good lawyer can tell if the accused is guilty just by reading the indictment. And you had convinced me of your innocence, then it was no longer difficult to find the culprit. Jessica paused and changed the subject. You are a strong and ambitious woman, such a person belongs to a successful strong man. Take good care of him.

Promised. I will do everything I can to get him back healthy. Speaking of strong men. Why isn't Jeff here?

Jessica looked wistfully on the dance floor at her friends. Sometimes we women don't see what the men who love us do for us. They let us go our own way because they know that we do not allow ourselves to be locked up and made dependent.

They actually make us happy with it and we only notice what they have done for us when it may be too late, when they have let go of us completely. Why can't we women actually approach them? Elizabeth replied thoughtfully.

Because we showed no weakness on our path in life and we don't want to do it now, we don't give up anything that we have worked so hard for, just as they wouldn't do it either, that's why we love our men. replied Jessica.