Chapter 18

Everyone was sitting together that evening in the patient lounge of Mt. Sinai's private oncology ward. The mood was depressed because an hour ago they'd heard that Christian Soldman, the trader who never had time for therapy and didn't take his cancer seriously, had died. He never took the side effects of therapy seriously. He had infections all the time. You were told that he simply collapsed at work and never woke up again. Harvey and Walther had pleaded with him several times over the past few weeks and offered to help, because Christian was alone. He had not told his parents about his illness. Christian said his father would think he was weak if he knew he was ill.

Now everyone was trapped in their thoughts, in their life stories and stared straight ahead when Harvey suddenly stood up, reached out his hand to Elizabeth and pulled her towards him. He couldn't take his eyes off her and silently looked into her blue eyes. She knew what would follow and tears filled her eyes. Harvey, not now, not today, she said pleadingly.

But Elizabeth, today and now and because of that. This day will always remind me that his fate could have happened to me too and that I am lucky to have a woman like you by my side. I don't want to wait for the next time. Until I or you get better. Life is too short to delay beautiful moments. I don't want us to keep it a secret anymore.

While Harvey held her hand, he knelt in his black suit trousers and white shirt in front of Elizabeth in her dark blue long-sleeved dress. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a box. From Tiffany's. He opened them while Elizabeth's heart beat faster. She recognized this box. *You really picked it up?* Behind Harvey, Amy, who held Walther's hand, and Elaine, who held Henry's hand, sat in the chairs, smiling and expectant. Unseen by the two, Dr. Gabriel and Nurse Nancy stood in the doorway of the patient lounge, listening to Harvey as further witnesses.

Harvey held out a slender gleaming ring of platinum silver with a round blue crystal to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Victoria Heart, would you like to be my wife?

Elizabeth smiled at him with tears in her eyes. Her heart was beating so fast under her dress. Yes, she managed, sobbing happily. Yes I do.

Someone once told me to save it for the right one. With that, Harvey gently slipped the ring over her right ring finger and stood up. Then they gave each other a long loving kiss. Their eyes were closed and all could see. This magic that surrounded the two. This mesmerizing silence was finally broken by the clapping of hands by Dr. Gabriel and his enthusiastic whistle broke through. Everyone joined in the applause. Harvey only had eyes for Elizabeth and said, Don't ever be afraid again. I am here for you and take care of you. I love you.

I love you too. To the moon and back.

To the moon and back.

Elaine was the first well-wisher and had to hug Elizabeth tightly with tears in her eyes. She was happy that the two finally didn't dare to run away from each other anymore.

——————

Good morning Mr Specter. Congratulations on your engagement ad in the New York Times. You did really well. Said Gretchen, standing at her desk when Harvey walked into the office on this sunny early December morning. It was freezing cold outside and the snow was glistening, only a few clouds could be seen.

Thank you Gretchen, said Harvey with a smile across his face and was overwhelmed by the various flower arrangements that greened up his office.

Mrs Pearson would like to see you. Gretchen said when she entered his room. By the way, that was the right decision. she added appreciatively.