Chapter 13

So while Elizabeth spent her mornings helping Donna out of her emotional crisis and tending to Emma and Jacob almost casually, Harvey had so much fun with Mike and his cases that the chemotherapy and side effects became a routine side issue. Physiotherapy units were incorporated into the daily routine. Whether at home or in the clinic made little difference. Since Harvey was often alone in the mornings, he met his onco friends 2-3 times a week in the chemo-free period to find distraction from those boring quiet days when he could be busy with himself. They sat together over coffee and tea in the day clinic or in the patient lounge of the private oncology ward, just like today:

Good morning, Harvey, he was greeted with a smile by Elaine, who was already shuffling the cards with a green headscarf in her white blouse and her wide green Marlene trousers.

Good morning Elaine, any games today? Harvey asked in his white shirt and dark blue chinos. He had hidden his new hair under the gray flat cap. So he was able to take off his cap and sat down at the table with her, smiling. Both were waiting for their blood values ​​to be evaluated, but one thing Harvey already knew. He needed platelets. The small red spots on the skin came like overnight and the bleeding gums wouldn't stop this morning.

Good morning, said Walther, entering the room.

Good morning, where have you left Amy? Did you overwork yourself at the weekend? Elaine asked cheekily. Everyone at the table knew what was meant, although Harvey would have preferred to turn a blind eye when the others made insinuations about their active sex lives. There were just things that he would continue to talk about with anyone.

I don't think she caught some nasty germ and is isolated. We were so careful with that. Walther said and when he saw the sad faces of Harvey and Elaine, he quickly added, it'll be fine. Everything will be fine. Let's play until our values ​​are there.

All three knew perfectly well that if Amy was isolated it was really critical. That's why Harvey gave his chocolate donut and his favorite coffee to Walther and put his hand on Walther's shoulder encouragingly, while Elaine wordlessly dealt the cards. Back when Walther brought Amy to the patient lounge for the first time, she had come out of her room for the first time in 4 weeks. She had braided her long gray hair and let it fall over her shoulder. She seemed a little weak and tired. In the many hours at her room door, in which he read her from various books to get Amy out of her depressive phase, he had fallen in love with her. Falling in love with someone with cancer almost never ends well. It's bad enough when deadly diseases creep into relationships, because many relationships don't survive the diseases. But how do you start a relationship with someone who has a terminal illness. How many feelings do you invest in order not to die in the end. Amy and Walther were apparently more mature than Harvey and Elizabeth were then. They immediately gave in to their feelings and didn't think about what might come. So far they both seem to be doing fine. It was a joy for Elaine and Harvey to see them so happy together. As in the second spring. Both got along well with Dr. Gabriel informs about Amy's illness AML. Above all, what they could do to prevent these deadly infections. But now she was isolated again in her room with a fever and cough, was given antibiotics and, like Harvey back then, had a lot of monitoring cables on her. Walther and Amy were left with only the door and their letters. Elaine and Harvey couldn't see her either, because Dr. Gabriel had just opened the BloodCellBingo and it looked bad with her immunodefense against infection.

Ok, ready? asked Dr. Gabriel smiling around. Everyone nodded.

Ms Fisher- Hb 4.0, Leuko 0.8, Thrombo 120 - so there is a transfusion and don't forget your antibiotics from the weekend.

Mr Kuttner- Hb 6.0, Leuko 0.9, Thrombo 130 - we would recommend immunoglobulin administration and you must not forget your antibiotics.

Walther nodded thoughtfully: Do you already know what kind of germ Ms Sullivan has?