Chapter 11

Mike, calm down first, Harvey said weakly into the phone. We'll manage.

Harvey put the phone on the bedroom sideboard and turned straight into the bathroom. He could be heard throwing up through the bathroom door and Mike could be heard ranting through the phone. Elizabeth, walking quietly towards the bathroom with the  3-week-old Jacob sleeping in the Tula baby carrier, put the phone to her ear.

Good morning, Elizabeth knew it was about Rachel as she had been dominating the conversations for the past few weeks. And when it did, it usually got loud on the other side of the phone. Harvey is in the bathroom for a moment. You'll see each other in a moment.

Yes, tell him to come earlier. I still have something to discuss with him.

Ok, Mike, Good luck afterwards.

Then they both hung up. Harvey stepped out of the bathroom door at that moment. White as chalk.

Did he hang up?

Yes. You don't look well, said Elizabeth, walking towards Harvey. She knew she couldn't stop him from going to the office today. So she helped him where she could to let this moment not end in disaster. She had his medicine ready and with her calm, angelic voice she encouraged Harvey.

It's OK now. He said smiling and stroking Jacob's head, which was looking out of the Tula baby carrier. Then he kissed Elizabeth's forehead.

Why is Mike so irritable? Can you work constructively with him at all?

No, and unfortunately he wants to come to the meeting. If Rachel comes too, we can't do anything today. Mike says she takes all the blame and ruined his dream of having a family. He built a life with her, left friends behind...

Elizabeth looked into Harvey's eyes thoughtfully. We're not like Rachel and Mike. assured Harvey.

I know, but if we ever break up, I hope we wouldn't end like these two.

Harvey took Elizabeth in his arms and whispered in her ear. Promised.

If we get married, then with a marriage contract, because you know I don't want your millions, and then we can put that in writing.

And you know I'm happy to share them with you, though, Harvey said, brushing a strand of hair from her face and behind her ear. Elizabeth closed her eyes and savored the smell of his aftershave. Even though Mike and Rachel's break-up reminds her that some promises aren't kept and don't last forever, she still trusted Harvey when he believed in both of them and the love between them. How many times did you get up last night? asked Harvey.

Every 2 hours. Everything is fine, I do power napping and Jacob sleeps longer in the morning, you know that. I hope I didn't wake you up so often.

No, I was only awake for a moment. Tonight I'll take the first round.

Gladly, said Elizabeth and gave him a kiss. I'll take you to the office. Let's go. Jacob is sleeping so nicely in the stretcher. Are you nervous? she asked Harvey while re-tightening his dark blue silk tie.

No. Why should I?

Maybe because you haven't officially been to the office for 3 months? Elizabeth grinned at him, who hadn't dreamed of this 3 months ago either, and of course supported Harvey in this. It was good for him to work, to show himself. Harvey was able to walk longer distances unimpaired, he had lost some weight and looked pale today, but you could also see that he was working on getting fitter. He had even found a solution for his bald head. A perfectly fitting wig that made him look like he did before chemotherapy. He loved this hair and always put it on when he was among strangers, e.g. to the hospital. Elizabeth loved Harvey the way he was, with and without his hair.