Chapter 16

Over the next few weeks, Elizabeth felt very alone. She needed her strength to look after Jacob and the household in the morning and Harvey in the afternoon. Unfortunately Harvey couldn't look after Jacob alone for long, but they both made arrangements every morning and sometimes Mike would come over to help. He was also the only one allowed to see Harvey after the operation besides Elizabeth. With Mike, Harvey continued to train on his strength and conditioning every other day and Harvey quizzed Mike on contract law. But as soon as Mike left the house to work for Jessica, Harvey sank back into his gloomy thoughts, because he too felt alone. He was strong for Elizabeth, said nothing about these thoughts of giving up and getting out. But he didn't confide in Mike and Donna either. There was no argument between them, just an eerie silence and each one caught up in their own thoughts. There was physical closeness between them but only superficially. Neither of them seemed to need more.

It had been 6 long, hard weeks since the operation and now Harvey finally got his long awaited first prosthesis. Immediately after the chemotherapy on the first day, the prosthesis technician came by and adjusted the high-tech prosthesis. It was just an interim prosthesis, but that didn't matter right now. And while Harvey didn't show it, everyone noticed the change. Ambition had seized him again. He trained every day with physical therapy. Elizabeth was able to see the progress first hand and was excited for Harvey to take part in life again.

On that second morning, while Harvey received his chemotherapy in his room, Elizabeth sat alone in the patient's lounge with a morning coffee. Jacob was sleeping peacefully in his Batmobile when Elaine entered the room.

Good morning, what are you doing here? Elaine asked in surprise.

Good morning, it's been raining all night outside and it's so cloudy and dark that I'd rather stay inside.

Shouldn't you be with Harvey?

Maybe, but he's been sleeping through the chemo lately. The ifosphamide makes him so tired.

Elaine avoided asking any more questions, because it was actually clear to everyone that everything only seemed to be fine on the outside.

How are you? Elizabeth asked.

Quite well. I finished my little book project. Do you want me to read you something from it?

Yes gladly. Is it already printed?

Yes, 1000 pieces at first. Elaine said and started to read. Page by page. Eventually, Elizabeth fell into a deep sleep. Not because the story was too boring, but because she had found peace and relaxation. Elaine knew that too. She gently covered Elizabeth sleeping on the couch with a warm gray blanket with black bat emblems.

Four hours later, Elizabeth was slowly awakened again by Jacob's laughter. She rubbed her eyes and sat cross-legged on the couch. She let the blanket rest on her shoulders and looked around the semi-dark room. It was still gloomy, wet autumn weather outside, no sunlight came through the windows. Standing by the window, Elaine held Jacob and seemed to be telling him stories, the way grandmothers would do. A smile crossed Elizabeth's face as she watched them.

Suddenly the door to the patient lounge slowly opened and Harvey entered not on crutches but with the IV stand in hand. He slowly but surely approached Elaine and Jacob. Elaine saw Harvey for the first time in 6 weeks. Two shoes, two sweatpants legs. But that didn't matter to Elaine. She smiled at him with tears in her eyes. Because she thought she would never see him again. He hadn't answered the letters, not a word, not a letter from him.

Harvey, nice to see you. she said admiringly.

Hello Elaine, said Harvey, who had just joined her and was looking at Jacob. Everything will be fine. Then he stroked Jacob's head. Do you know where Elizabeth is? She's been gone for hours and hasn't called.