Chapter 1: Parties Kinda Suck

"Do I really have to go to this?" I asked.

"Yes, you do," Emi exclaimed, walking next to me and adjusting the hem of my dress. "Now turn that frown upside down! Or I'll use my quirk on you."

I gave her a forced, closed mouth smile. She smiled brighter than me, showing her teeth and pointing her fingers next to her mouth.

I tried copying her smile, but it really just ended up being a more depressed version of it.

"Beautiful!"

Lies.

"Now let's get going." She grabbed my wrist and started dragging me to her car.

"I just don't understand why I have to go to this party," I said, getting into the passenger seat. "Can't one of your students go? Like what's his name—the one with the vibrating quirk."

"Shindo?" I nodded. "Nah, I'd rather take my sister. She could use some cheering up anyways."

"This is exactly the reason I moved out," I said. "So I didn't have to deal with this"—i waved my hands in her general direction as she drove—"and mom and dads supportive af asses."

Emi chuckled, which turned into a full on laugh. "Whatever!" She almost ran into a lamp post. "Whoopsie."

"Emi, learn to drive right," I said.

"I have a license and you're not dead yet, so you're fine!"

Annnnd there's a pedestrian.

"Shhhh don't let them know a pro-hero almost hit them," she said in a quieter tone.

That made me laugh. Well, not laugh, it was a chuckle, really.

"There it is!" Emi exclaimed. "The beautiful laugh we all love o fr we hear it!"

This is exactly why I don't laugh around Emi. Because she says stuff like that. If I'm being honest, I feel like the reason I don't laughs t this point is to just see my family's attempts at making me laugh.

I shut up immediately after she said that. I could feel her glance at me—actually, I know she glanced at me because the car started not going straight.

"You really do have a beautiful laugh, Y/n," she said. She turned her attention back to the road.

The rest of the drive was silent. Emi hummed every now and then, but otherwise it was quiet.

When we had gotten to the venue, we got out. It looks nice enough, almost like an outdoor wedding reception. Fairy lights hung from the trees and tables were set up.

"Don't leave me al—" I started saying, only to cut myself off once I noticed Emi walking away.

"You'll be fine!" she yelled back at me. "I'm pretty sure Endeavor brought some of his kids so go find them."

Great, now I have to find the brats of Number 1.

Or maybe I could just hide under a table or something.

Wait...

I quickly opened the back seat door, wondering if it would be acceptable if I just hid and ate Pringle's (or Lay's Stax for my gluten-free folks). I mean, Emi has an emergency can of then in the cup holder back here.

"Are you Y/n Fukukado?"

I stopped mid-way closing the door, turning my head to look at the person that had said my name. Two young adults stood by the door, both with similar physical features and white hair, except the girl's hair had small streaks of crimson red running through it. From the way they looked, I assumed they were related.