Chapter 3: Life Decisions Happen in the Shower

- 10 months later -

Conversations from every other day progressed to every single day. We spoke for more than a year. We've kept in touch. It's Saturday, October 4, eight days away from Alex's birthday and twenty three away from mine. I will soon turn 17, and the reality of it seems surreal. I unwrapped my warm body from the feather down comforter and rose, sitting on my bed, extending my arms out wide for a good morning stretch. I rubbed my eyes and let out a yawn, an obnoxious, "what was that?" kind of yawn. I walked lazily to the end of the room where my phone lay cuddled in a fabric screen cleaner atop of my mahogany dresser. I clicked on the homescreen and swiped my phone to unlock. Noticing a red number 1 on the little "Messages" square, I tapped on it and was greeted with a new message from Elly. She was the only person who knew about me and Alex. Not too many people would be impressed by me talking to a guy online I've never even met. But Elly, Elly understood me. She's my best friend.

"Hey girl. You free today? Let's go to lunch! I have some stuff to tell you! :)" texted Elly.

"Yeah! I'm free. I just need to let my mom know. When and where?"

"I'm craving pasta. Maggiano's at 12:30?"

"Sounds good :) see you soon! Love you!"

I opened my closet door and shuffled through my color-coded arrangement of knit sweaters. I'm a little OCD. Not really, but you get the point. I grabbed a burgundy tinted knit sweater off its hanger and a pair of dark denim skinnies from the bottom rack. I picked up my pair of combat boots and rushed to the shower.

Singing not so melodiously in the bath tub, I found myself thinking about something real important. What if I met Alex this winter break? It would officially mark the year we've known each other and it'd be pretty damn cool if I could pull off a meet up. As I reached the epiphany of my life decision beneath the warmth of the water that dripped from my hair, I stuck my hand out into the cold, open air of the bathroom and snatched my towel. I shut off the water and got changed.

"Hey mom?" I exclaimed, allowing the words to bounce off the walls of the house.

"I'm downstairs!"

I marched down the steps of the wooden staircase and purposely stomped harder as I neared the first floor. This bugged my mom, wearing shoes in the house and tracking dirt everywhere.

"Hi mum. I'm going to Maggiano's with Elly for lunch. I'll be home right after, 'kay?" I said, as I batted my eyelashes teasingly.

"Yeah that's fine. Now get out please. You're messing up my floors! See you later, Case. Love you!" She replied as I proceeded to the front door.

"Love you too mom! We're going on a double date!" I yelled to the kitchen where my mom was. I saw her face, confused, furious, and all "what the hell are you talking about, girl?"

She caught onto my sarcasm and shooed me off. That's another thing she hates. Boys. Except my brother, of course.