Chapter 13: Time Zone (Toronto - Day 2)

"Case, you'll be okay here by yourself right?" Leigh-Ann said, rummaging through the kitchen drawer full of keys, looking for her car keys. She looked up and smiled when she threw a fist in the air, keys clasped inside.

"Yes, Leigh-Ann," I smiled a crooked smile, chewing on Cinnamon Toast Crunch. "I'll be outta here in an hour-ish, anyway. I've got that 'week-long' orientation to go to, remember?"

"Oh, duh! It's Monday! Girl, I'm losing my mind. Literally! Sorry, I've just been so caught up with work. I'm trying to show them I'm worthy of the job, being a new graduate and all," she shrugged her shoulders.

"I dig it. Don't worry," I nodded.

A quiet pause interrupted the conversation. I stirred the cinnamon-specked milk in small circles, searching for more Cinnamon Toast Crunch squares. No luck. Leigh-Ann was eating an apple, sitting on the counter. Something was on her mind, though. She rested the palms of her hands on the counter top and dumped the nibbled apple remains in the trash can. She turned her distracted gaze to me, pursing her lips. Her hair was pulled well out of her face and wrapped into a braided bun. The honey-tinted highlights shone in the light. Her eyes twinkled a sort of sadness and confusion.

"What's wrong, Leigh-Ann?" I blurted, holding my spoon above the bowl of milk.

"You know your mom is gonna shun me right? If she ever finds out that I'm an accomplice to your master plan," She gave me puppy dog eyes and sunk in her position on the counter.

I got up from my chair at the small island and sat by her on the counter. "I don't have to meet him, you know. I'll just go to the orientation as planned. Nothing attached."

She giggled, "Nahh, Case. You can meet him. I just hope your parents don't find out. They'll kill me!"

"It's cool, Leigh-Ann. They won't know about a thing," I whispered, nudging her shoulder.

"Alright," she said, slapping her thigh. "I gotta roll. I'll see you later. Let me know how that orientation goes, 'kay?!" Leigh-Ann put on her jacket on the way to the door. 

"You got it, boss! Love you!" I waved, jumping off the counter.

"You too, bebe!" she exclaimed, blowing a kiss.

I went to my room and searched for an outfit in the closet. I made up my mind on dark denim jeans, a blue and grey striped shirt, an army green cardigan, an infinity scarf, and my favorite pair of Sperry winter boots. I got dressed and put my hair up into a pony tail, braiding it all the way down. I put on a few spritzes of my Viva La Juicy perfume and threw on my parka. I took one look in the mirror and secured the strap of my bag on my shoulder. I locked the door to Leigh-Ann's apartment and made my way to the rental. I hooked up the GPS I borrowed from Leigh-Ann and listened to the programmed woman give me directions. "Turn right in 0.4 miles." I was pretty nervous for the tour, anxious even. But I knew that it'd be good to get some insight on my options. 

I blasted the volume on the car's stereo system and jammed out to The Band Perry's 'Better Dig Two.' I sang even louder as people in their cars next to me stopped at red lights and stared. Hell, I'm sure they were rockin' their heads to the beat too. I got a couple smiles and laughs. I like Canada already. People ARE ridonculously nice here. 

I pulled into the parking lot of U of T and took a spot near the entrance. I'm kinda lazy. A woman in her early 20s wearing a blue "Ambassador" shirt opened the door and greeted me.

"Hi there! Welcome to U of T. My name is Heidi. I'm gonna be giving you a tour of the school today," she smiled widely. 

"Thank you so much," I smiled. "Nice to meet you, I'm Casey," I added, reaching out my hand for a handshake.

"We're glad you're here. Thanks for joining us. You can wait in the room to your right with the rest of the group until everyone else gets here," she replied, extending an arm, pointing to an open door.

I nodded and proceeded to the room, surprised at the large number of U of T student hopefuls that showed up. After a few minutes, Heidi skipped into the room, her curly blond hair bouncing with every move. 

"Hello, again. I'm Heidi, and I'll be touring you all around today. I'm a student here at University of Toronto: Faculty of Medicine. It's my fourth year, and I'm enjoying it. You've all come to a wonderful school. We hope you give U of T a shot. There's so much here that the school has to offer. If you all would follow me," she said, waving her hand in the direction going out of the room. 

Everyone grabbed their belongings and proceeded out the door. I stayed in the middle of the group and looked around curiously as Heidi's energetic voice guided the way. 

"Medicine at U of T is now ranked #5 globally in the category of 'Clinical Medicine' by the 'Higher Education Evaluation and Accreditation Council of Taiwan' and 12th in the world in 'Clinical and Pre-Clinical Health' by the 'Times Higher Education World Rankings'," said Heidi. 

I smiled at her enthusiasm and the great vibe from the school overall. I was beginning to like it more and more as we walked through the hallways, peeking in through lectures in big rooms with elevated seats. I texted mom and told her that U of T was a possibility. Of course, it was nothing compared to Stanford. I've dreamt of being a cardinal way before high school, but U of T was following right after the "Tree school" on my list of potential universities. 

I felt crazy for thinking it. I thought I was going insane for considering it. I knew then, at the moment I walked back to my rental at the end of the tour, that I was in love with U of T. Much, much more than planned. Maybe I could go here. Maybe mom and dad would agree to it. Maybe Alex and I could actually be something.

Or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead. And I'm already on the same hour.