Chapter 9: Mission Complete

A smell. It was the scent of a freshly lit candle that burned an aroma of cinnamon and sweet vanilla. It filled my nostrils and simmered deep into my throat, awakening me from my slumber. I blinked my eyes open, inhaling another breath of the calming scent. I forced myself to stay awake, and I eventually accomplished just that. I turned onto my left side, hugging my blue body-length pillow close to my chest. I pulled the feather comforter up to my chin and laid there in undisturbed silence. I stared at the second hand tick away on the blue clock, as I listened to the intruding sounds of pots and pans clanging from the kitchen. It was 9:46, and the sun began to peer in through my window. Rays of light shone on the wooden floor, illuminating a row of bright streaks. I'll get up at 10:00, I thought to myself. I continued to stare at the clock, as it almost hypnotised me back to sleep. The minute hand landed on the twelve, and the hour hand struck the ten. Get up, lazy duck. I slowly kicked the comforter off of my warm body and groaned as I rose from the bed. 

"I have to pee," I whispered to myself, eyes still half open. Yeah, I'm kinda weird. I talk to myself and openly announce when I have to use the bathroom. Gotta do what you gotta do, y'know? 

I used the bathroom and washed my hands with Cherry Blossom soap from Bath & Body Works. I love that store. They have the best body fragrances. I'd literally work there just to be able to go home smelling like flowers and fruit after a shift. 

I walked downstairs and approached the kitchen. Mom had half of the 9-foot granite island covered with breakfast food. She laid out stacks of buttermilk pancakes, strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, ham, and omelets. Dad was in the pantry getting the maple syrup, and as soon as my footsteps became audible, they both disconnected themselves from their current activities and looked at me. 

"Happy birthday, sweet heart!" Dad started off. It's October 27 today. 

"Happy 17th, honey!" Mom bellowed.

"Gee, thanks guys." I smiled big and wide. I was pretty surprised by all this. Usually, my birthday doesn't kick in until around 6ish, dinner time. Maybe because by that time, my parents actually realize it IS my birthday. I'm surprised but am still glad they remembered it earlier, this year. 

"Sit, sit! Eat now! I made pancakes, Case. You love pancakes!" Mom announced proudly, pushing me to a seat at the island. My mom was the mom who forced everyone to make themselves feel at home. She may have her demands, but she's a generous woman with a heart big enough to love the world. She loves to cook and has forced my friends in the past to take home left-overs. It's pretty embarassing, but my buds love her for it.

I was in the middle of glazing my first pancake with butter and syrup when dad came to sit right next to me with an envelope in his hand. I pretended not to notice the envelope until he placed it gently on the table in front of the other stack of pancakes. 

"Go ahead, Case. I know you see it. Open it!" Dad grinned.

I set my fork down on the flowery placemat and reached for the baby blue envelope. I held it up to the light, trying to look through the envelope to see what was inside first. I tucked my index finger beneath the left side of the top flap and dragged it across slowly until I reached the right. I pulled out a piece of paper printed with a heavy load of ink. Unfolding the paper, I had a feeling I knew what it was for. I thought it would be a ticket to the Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks game. But it was better than that.. I got...

"Well, honey.. dad and I decided we needed to let you explore your options," Mom began.

"Yes, and yours truly has done some great persuading for you. Mom was on the verge of killing me," added Dad.

"So we booked you a --- " 

"Ahh! Mom! You booked me a flight to Toronto?!" I exclaimed, jumping up and down, clutching the boarding pass tightly in my hands for dear life.

"Casey, relax for a second! Stop interrupting me! I'm trying to tell you some real important stuff. I can take that ticket away from you any second I choose."

"Yes, ma'am,"  I whimpered, ducking in my seat for the speech I was going to get. Mom is good at that stuff. She can take something simple and make it seem like a big deal. Or, she can make you feel really bad about yourself for something that doesn't seem that serious. She could take a polar bear, for instance, and prove how that one animal species can lead the world to nuclear war. Not the greatest example, but you get the idea. She may be crazy at times, but I love her for the things she does for us. She drew her wavy, dark hair into a bun and planted her brown eyes on me. 

"Okay. You're going to be staying at Leigh-Ann's. She has an apartment actually, right near University of Toronto. You'll be in Canada for a week. Here's your passport. Bring this everywhere you go." She said, handing over the navy blue booklet. I smiled again and opened my mouth to speak, but she went on, "Hush, Case! You're not focusing! I need you to listen to everything I'm saying, or you'll end up in Bora Bora!" she composed herself. "Alright, moving on. We got you a rental car, so keep your licence with you at all times, too. You'll be able to get yourself at the University and back to Leigh-Ann's without bothering her. She's busy with work now, since she just graduated. Don't annoy her."

I nodded, "When am I going?" She forgot to mention that part.

"Oh right," she said, resting her palm on her forhead. "You'll be kicked outta here on December 21st. You board at 8:37 am. You'll be there until December 30th, so a little more than a week. You can just drive the rental back to the airport from Leigh-Ann's, and they should take care of you from there."

"AHHH!" I yelped. I jumped up to give mom a hug first and dad, second. 

"Yeah, I know, I know. I'm great." Mom smiled.

"You have to call us every morning you wake up and every night before you go to bed. I wanna hear all about the college, so you better keep us updated, Case. We're trusting you with this." Dad intervened.

"Yes, daddy. I know!" I pushed my plate with the unfinished pancake forward to mom. "I'm done! I'll eat more later! I gotta call Elly!"

My parents both smiled at the bottom of the stairs. Dad rested a protective arm on mom's shoulders as they walked back into the kitchen. I called Elly when I reached my room and Skyped Alex right after. This was easier than I thought. Now, "how will I pull this all together without getting caught?" was the REAL question.