Chapter Nineteen: Cat and Mouse

Matt groaned as light flooded into his bunk, waking him from a deep slumber. His tour manager stood beside it, holding the curtain back, an unamused expression on his tired face. It was the final week of tour, and everyone was feeling it; Jimmy included.

"You know you have an interview in thirty minutes, right?"

Matt cursed under his breath, running his hands down his face. He had completely forgotten about it, after their early set he had retired to his bunk to sleep the hottest part of the day away. To Jimmy's credit, he'd reminded him the day prior but between the party at Danny's and his talk with Andy, it had slipped his mind.

"Fuck... I'm sorry man, it was a long night." Matt apologized, climbing out of his bunk.

"I get it, man, it's the last week. Just be at the press tent by three." Jimmy instructed, patting him on the back before starting towards the front.

"Wait-" Matt called after the man, "What interview is this?"

Jimmy pulled his phone out, flipping through the day's schedule. "Uh... it's a joint interview between you and Andy. Some vlogger, press tent will tell you where to go."

Matt's heart skipped a beat. No one had told him that part, since when had he signed up for a joint interview? Despite their heart-to-heart the night before, Matt wasn't exactly ready to play best friends with Andy again. They were in a better place than previously, but any rekindled friendship they had was still in infancy if that. Of course, as far as the fans knew they were still best friends. An interview together meant he had to make that seem like the truth or risk hundreds of people prying into his private life. Neither he nor Andy needed that right now.

"Thanks, Jimmy. I'll be there." Matt waved him on, hurrying into the bathroom to try and make himself look presentable.

At least they had their awkward silence breaker already, hopefully, that meant the interview would be manageable. Twenty-minute tops, that's all he had to manage he thought to himself as he brushed his teeth. Keep things surface level, or even better keep it music-focused.

Matt brushed his hair, teasing the top of it and spraying on cologne before grabbing his phone and tour pass.

Andy swayed back and forth nervously, glancing over at the interviewer. He'd never heard of the man before; it was some rock-centered news channel. According to the guy, fans had requested a joint interview between him and Matt. It had been news to Andy when John gave him his schedule, cursing whoever in management had okayed it.

He felt better after their conversation by the pool, but he could tell that Matt still had reservations about their future. Andy wasn't too self-absorbed to blame him, well aware of how bad he'd fucked up. The truth was Matt had given him numerous second chances and he'd blown all of them. Which was why it was critical for him to finally get it right this time, he had to prove to the older man that he meant what he said.

After their talk, they both returned to their respective rooms to get whatever bit of sleep they could before bus call. Matt hadn't said anything to him since, which made having an interview together more than a little awkward. What was he supposed to do? Pretend like they both hadn't been sorting through the wreckage of their relationship for anything salvageable the night before?