Chapter Twenty-Two: Fall Eternal

Chapter 22: Fall Eternal

*Content Warning: this chapter contains suicidal ideation*

Andy watched as Matt's car disappeared into a sea of traffic as he turned onto the main road. The smile faded from his face as sadness set in. He understood why Matt couldn't stay the night, they were both worn-out from tour and needed time to decompress. Matt had his meeting with the record company at nine and they both needed to sleep in their own beds after weeks of bus bunks. Matt would be back the following morning to get breakfast together before driving him to the rehab center. He'd promised him a couple of hours before they'd be forced to part ways for two weeks. Still, watching him drive away after spending the entirety of the previous night making love, hurt.

He felt guilty for being sad; in the grand scheme of things, two weeks was nothing. Matt was staying in L.A and they were back together again. All was right with the world, there was no reason to be upset. As much as he tried to convince himself that he could let his guard down, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was waiting in the shadows.

It had been a fear of his since childhood, fueling his anxiety for twenty years. He wasn't afraid that someone was out to get him, and he didn't believe in monsters or demons. It was a feeling, a darkness that seemed to follow him. The threat of the unknowns in life, never knowing when his last breath would come or when tragedy would strike. The moment he let himself feel safe, was the moment he'd fall victim to it. Whatever it was.

Andy gave one last glance towards the road before heading inside; he could make it twelve hours.

Andy scrolled through his phone, looking at the various photos and videos fans had tagged him in throughout the tour. Jake sat beside him on the beat-up couch, thumbs moving quickly over the knobs on his controller.

"Rob's meeting us here, right?" Andy asked, causing Jake to lose focus and be killed by the animated zombie on the screen.

"Goddamn it, dude- that was my last life." Jake groaned in annoyance, setting the controller down and running his hands over his face.

"Yeah... yeah, he said he'd come over here. What time is it, anyway?"

"It's 9:05" Andy answered, checking the time on his phone.

Andy's heart dropped as the doorbell rang as if summoned. Considering all the trouble Rob had given them in the almost two years they'd lived at the Compound, he wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. He imagined the devil looked something like the landlord.

"That's probably him, I'll get it. Hopefully, this won't take too long." Jake popped up, walking over to the front door.

Andy waited with bated breath as he heard Rob's deep voice around the corner. If it was something simple, why did they both need to be here? Andy's suspicions heightened as Rob marched into the living room, an envelope in his hand.

"Good, you're both here. I need you two to read and sign this." He stated flatly, handing the white envelope to Jake.

"Okay... what's this about, man? If it's about the paint or something we can cover it up" Jake replied.

Andy couldn't take the anticipation anymore, he snatched the envelope from Jake, tearing it open. Time seemed to slow as his eyes scanned the words printed on the yellow notice. It wasn't about the walls, or the kitchen, or the parties. It wasn't because they were late on rent or any of the other petty reasons from the past.