Chapter 37

"There you are!" Luca came down the bright hallway, two take-away coffee cups in his hand. A cream knitted sweater, double breasted jacket, jeans and sleek trainers; he was sporting his Roman runway look as usual. Alex stepped back from her suite door, checking her watch in surprise: 8:37am Sunday December 1st. They didn't work on recipes on Sundays so Luca normally came in just before the lunch shift.

"Isn't it your sleep-in day?" She took the cup he offered, drawing in the scent of the freshly ground arabica beans.

Luca, the smell of coffee, this casual conversation; it felt good after the madness of the day before. When she woke up, she had used every meditation technique she learned at the monastery to calm her mind. It had worked, but she was still no closer to settling on a path of action. That was why she had been meaning to go for a run, but just looking down from her window at the riverbank where the thugs had attacked her only hours ago, had made her hesitate.

"It snowed overnight so it's a great morning for a walk," Luca smiled his boyish smile.

"You want to go for a walk?" Going outside with Luca might be easier...Yes, she could do it. She had to push past the fear once and it would dissipate.

"Yes! And it looks like you had the same idea," Luca raised his brows, looking over Alex's running tights, fleece jacket and fingerless gloves. "You look almost set to go."

He handed her his cup, then took off his beanie hat and popped it on her head. The cashmere was warm and smelled of peppermint shampoo and aftershave.

"So you ears don't get cold," he winked, taking his cup back. "Shall we?"

"Alright." They walked down to the Lobby. The crystal snowflakes on the giant Christmas tree the staff put up overnight gave the place an added sparkle and many of the early risers had chosen to sit in the seats near it to chat.

"It's like you," Luca nodded towards the tree.

"What is?" Alex raised a brow, expecting something ridiculous to follow.

"The star," he pointed with his coffee cup. "Beautiful, bright and untouchable."

"Just keep walking," Alex sighed, looking towards the exit that was only a few feet away. Outside, beyond the revolving doors, snow was falling in large silent flakes. Her nerves stirred slightly, but she ignored them by taking a sip of coffee and moving a step closer to the laughing Luca.

"Alex, we've been working together for a while. now. When will you tell me why-"

"Luca!" A high-pitched voice cut off his words and had them both turning back towards the check-in desk. A dark haired beauty with voluptuous hair and an even larger bosom came at them with her embossed Louis Vuitton bag swinging. "Luca bay-bay, I can't believe it's you!"

Alex heard Luca mutter an Italian curse under his breath and could barely contain her amusement, "I'll wait outside."

"Forgive me, amore," Luca's urgent whisper was accompanied by his arm coming around her waist and pulling her to his side. The coffee cup in her hand shook as his ailments seeped into her body; a burning sensation on the left wrist, a stinging pain in the elbow and an ache in the lower back. Alex grimaced, trying to breath through the initial wave of pain.

"Giselle, it is a surprise. What are you doing here?" Luca asked, speaking over Alex's head.

Giselle raised a perfectly plucked brow at Alex, her bright pink lips pursing, "What is this, Luca? Since when has your taste become so...pedestrian?"

Alex would have laughed. She really would have, if she wasn't so mad at the idiot beside her. "Yes Luca, why don't you get your damned hands off this pedestrian?" She hissed.