Chapter 58

Gabriel clicked pause on the footage, his fingers curling at the look on Alex's face. It was the third time he was watching the tape, but it was impossible for him to guess what Marianne had said to Alex to put that look on her face. Anguish. The woman who had been pulling people's pain for ten years without letting it show, looked, for one moment like she was was in torment. And then that moment passed, and her eyes seemed to go cold. Gabriel wasn't sure which expression worried him more.

"We've brought her, Alpha!"

He turned and the sight of Marianne being brought in by two security guards sent his anger through the roof. Something this bitch said hurt Alex and drove her to leave Lupus Corp in a shocked state. Theo was out, leading a search around the perimeter, but there was no news. Somewhere deep inside Gabriel felt something bad was about to happen; he needed a lead, and he needed it fast.

"Gabriel, what is going on? Why are these men pulling at me?" Marianne protested, trying to free herself from the grip of his men.

"As if you don't know," he muttered taking a threatening step closer.

"Alpha!" Marianne's mother burst into the room, Ivan following close on her heals. She walked forward quickly, stepping in front of her daughter with open arms. "Alpha, please forgive my daughter, I don't know how she offended you, but she is in a delicate state. I hope you will be considerate."

He had respect for Liv and may have been swayed to be lenient, but there would be nothing of the sort until he knew for certain that Alex was not in danger. "Alpha Liv, step back. You have no jurisdiction here." 

With a guarded expression, Ivan pulled the shocked Liv aside. 

Taking another step forward, Gabriel brought his palm to Marianne's pale cheek. "You have put my mate in danger."

"M-m-mate?" The girl almost chocked on the word and looked to her mother who's eyes were wide with dismay.  

"So, I will ask you this once and only once. If you do not tell me everything I want to know, I will rip the information from your mind even if it means leaving you a blubbering mess."

Marianne sagged with fear and would have fallen to the ground had his guards not been holding her up.

"Where is Alex?" Gabriel growled, pointing to the screen behind him where Marianne stood with her back to the camera while Alex looked forward, her face ashen. "What the hell did you say to make her look like that and where did she go?"

"It- it wasn't my fault!" Marianne started to cry, fear now getting the best of her. "I was just so angry. We were supposed to get married and then she came and ruined it." She blinked up at him then looked back at the ground in fear. "It wasn't my idea. Katya Korovic was the one who told me to take revenge. She said to goad Alex into believing you were being unfaithful and use some wolf cufflinks as proof. That's all I did, I swear. Alex was upset, so she left. I don't know where she went!"

Gabriel dragged his hand over his face, then looked over to Ivan who now held his phone to his ear. A moment later, he put the phone down, "Katya's not picking up. I will gather the Korovic pack members in attendance and we will find Ms Turner and bring her back to you."

Gabriel could tell by the look on Ivan's face that he was worried Katya was up to something; Gabriel was worried about the same thing. "I will lead the search. You may help."

Ivan nodded in acceptance. Then, without a backwards glance at Marianne, Gabriel looked to Alpha Liv. "If my mate is hurt -"

"I will keep Marianne here to receive her punishment," Liv bowed, her lips pressed into a thin line. "I've failed to raise her well, Gabriel. I am sorry."

There was nothing to say. With a nod for the guards to follow, Gabriel left the room.