Chapter 35

"Put. Me. Down!" Alex continued to struggle. Her temper rose as Gabriel continued to ignore her while carrying her through the living room and into the ensuite at the far end of his bedroom.

She had barely taken in the green-white decor of the marble bathroom before he suddenly dropped her to her feet and shoved her into the spacious shower.

"Moncrief, what the hell are you do-"

Water hit her face, cutting off the rest of her words. Warm and wet, it splashed down her body as she stood under the shower-head and stared at Gabriel in shock.

Why? The word kept turning in her head, but wouldn't come out of her mouth.

The sudden stillness between them was heavy as her body began to relax under the heat. She lifted her hands to undo the braids in her hair, watching as drops of water bounced off her arms and wet his shirt, moulding it to his frame. His muscles were tight under the material and Alex recalled how firm they had felt under beneath her fingers.

Blushing at her wayward thoughts, her eyes shot back up to his face. The heat she saw in Gabriel's expression sent a shiver down her back. His gaze wondered over the wet clothes that now clung to her like a second skin. Alex held her breath, her heart pounding in her ears. He reached out, the back of his fingers touching her cheek.

Oh, hell. Alex closed her eyes. Everything disappeared from her mind except for Gabriel and the way his hands felt on her skin. She savoured his touch, waiting, wanting him to kiss her like he had earlier that night. Back before Marianne wrecked everything. Before the thugs made her bleed. Before she learned things she didn't want to learn. Alex was so tired. She was through fighting if only for one day. She just wanted to let go.

His scent wrapped around her...she took a deep breath, drawing in bergamot and spice. A part of her mind tried to warn her that he was a werewolf, that she should be running away, but her heart kept telling her it didn't matter. Somehow she was sure that Gabriel Moncrief wouldn't hurt her.

When he ran the pad of his thumb over her lips, her tongue darted out instinctively.

"Shit."

Alex's eyes flew open to see Gabriel stepping back, his fingers clenched by his sides.

"What...?"

"Don't, Alex." A strained smile appeared on his handsome face, "Don't look at me like that, or to hell with giving you time, I will claim you right now."

Alex blinked, uncertain whether she wanted time. She didn't want to think. Everything got too confusing when she tried to think. She just wanted Gabriel to make her feel good again.

"Bloody Hell, woman," he pulled her flat against him, pressing his lips to hers like his life depended on it. His fingers dug into her hair as he angled her head to deepen the kiss.

Water sprayed over their heating bodies. Gabriel moved his lips down her jaw and to her neck. Alex moaned and held onto his shoulders when he pulled at the straps of her jumpsuit. The wet material dragged over breasts and down her stomach, setting off tingles between her legs.

"Gabriel?" It was a question, a plea. He growled in response, licking her breasts through the lace material of her bra. The sensation was too much. Her nostrils filled with the scent of her own desire.

"Mine." He murmured, taking her mouth once more, pulling her soft body against his hardness. "Say you're mine."

Alex looked at him through the flowing water. He was running his hands over her back, down her neck, over her stomach.

"Say it, Alex." His hand cupped her between her legs, his fingers rubbing a part of her that no one else had touched.

"Gabriel!" She squealed, panicked by the intensity of the feeling. He went still, leaning his forehead to hers. His breath fanned her face as the water continued to beat down on them. Then he took a deep breath and she felt his body shudder.

Was he shaking? Alex frowned, remembering this had happened before. She ran her hands over his chest and shoulders, trying to determine the source of his discomfort, before reaching further down.

"Alex, please!" Gabriel groaned, stilling her hands in their search. Water flowed between them as they looked at each other. "You're going to be the death of me."

She couldn't follow his thoughts. "Gabriel-"

He stepped back suddenly, then turned away. "Get out of those clothes and go to bed. You've had a long day." In the next moment, Gabriel slammed out of the bathroom, leaving her blinking in the shower.

Uncertain what just happened, Alex stepped further into the warm water and closed her eyes.