comfort (z.b)

warning: alcoholism

in which Ziggy seeks comfort when her mother's drinking becomes too much

You weren't surprised to hear a knock at the front door. Your sister, Sheila, tended to have people come over constantly, no matter how much it annoyed you. However, you were pleasantly surprised when you opened the door and Ziggy Berman, your girlfriend, was standing on your front porch. Your smile was replaced with a worried frown when you noticed the tear tracks that were staining her cheeks, and you quickly pulled her into your house and dragged her to your bedroom.

"What happened?" you asked as you sat on your bed, Ziggy sitting on your lap. She was never one to be vulnerable, but around you, she didn't mind. She knew that you would never judge her, that you would only ever help.

"It's getting so bad, Y/N, and I don't know what to do," the redhead cried into your shoulder. She was shaking, her sobs wracking her body, and you could feel a few tears of your own threatening to fall at the sight of your girlfriend breaking down.

"I'm sorry, Ziggy. I'm so sorry," you whispered into her ear as you rubbed her back softly. You immediately knew she was talking about her mother's alcohol problem; that was usually the only reason she ever cried. You also knew that, as her drinking issue got worse, the Berman's were more and more likely to lose their house.

"I just--I can't be around it anymore."

"Shhh, it's okay. I've got you." You switched from rubbing the girl's back to running your fingers through her hair, knowing that it tended to soothe your girlfriend more. "I've got you; I'm right here," you reassured. Ziggy gripped onto your shoulders tighter, as though she needed to remind herself that you were, in fact, physically with her. 

Though it took a while for the girl to stop crying, when she did, she smiled at you. "I love you," she whispered. 

"I love you, too, Ziggy." The redhead pulled you in for a kiss, and you were expecting it. It was one of the most grounding things for the girl, especially after crying as hard as she did. She slipped her tongue between your lips quickly and, for a while, you let her kiss you however she wanted. When air became an issue though, you were forced to pull back, and you chuckled as she chased your lips, her eyes still closed. "Let's get you something to eat, yea?"

"Not hungry," the girl stated quickly, attempting to press her lips to yours once again. You laughed. 

"Hot chocolate, then?" The redhead lit up at the suggestion and clambered off of your lap at a speed you didn't think was possible, waiting for you at your bedroom door.

"Well, are you coming?" she joked. 

"Of course." You wrapped your arm around her waist and, just as the two of you were leaving your bedroom, you caught sight of Sheila leaving her own. The brunette's eyes landed on your girlfriend, but she didn't throw her a snarky remark. Due to her love for you, your sister had been working on her hatred towards the redhead, and Ziggy was trying not to be as problematic for the brunette; you were grateful for both of them. 

"We're going to make hot chocolate. Care to join us?" the redhead asked Sheila. The girl was surprised, as were you: while they were trying to be amicable, Ziggy had never been particularly friendly to the girl.

"Uh, sure."

And that's how you ended up spending the remainder of the night in the kitchen, laughing along with your sister and your girlfriend, both of whom were happy to be spending time with you.