London (4)

Mia's POV:

'Focus up. I'm sorry... Did I just miss hear you or did you actually agree with me?' Tony asked, causing me to roll my eyes and lean back on my seat, just then, Steve got a notification on his phone.

'I need to go.' he said abruptly and walked away.

'Steve?' I asked but he didn't respond. I furrowed my eyebrows in worry. I went to get up but Nat stopped me.

'What?' I asked.

'He'll come to you about it. Let him have some time.' She said and I nodded. I later learnt that Peggy had died. Steve wanted to attend her funeral and had to go to London. I didn't tell him that I was coming and took a separate jet. I was at the corner of the room when her casket was brought in. Steve was in the front, carrying it. He was trying hard not to loose his composure. Sam had come with Steve for support and was sitting beside him in the front row. 

'I would now like to Invite Sharon Carter to come up and share a few words.' The priest said and the woman who was staying beside Steve as the cover of a nurse came up to the stage. Sam noticed it and motioned it towards Steve who was reading something. He looked at her and sighed.

'Margeret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D, but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy.' She said and Steve took a deep breath.

'She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid that was pretty cool but it was a lot to live up to which is why I never told anyone we were related.' She said, looking at Steve. he just raised his eyebrows.

'I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a women succeed at either and she said, compromise where you can, where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree and tell the world no, you move.' She said.

Wow, she should be a motivational speaker I thought.

'We spent our best time together the past few years. I asked her out of all of her achievements which she was more proud of. She patted my hand, smile and said dear, I'm afraid that's classified.' She said and I smiled.

After Sharon Carter's speech, and after everyone had left, Steve was still standing. Before I could go up to him, Nat came from the entryway of the church.  

'When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her.'

'He had you back, too.' Nat said and he nodded.

'After everything happened. S.H.I.E.L.D. During Mia's and my hiatus, we went back to Russia to try and find my parents. Two little gravestones by a chain-link fence. We pulled out some weeds and left some flowers. We have what we have when we have it.' Nat said and I remembered the memory. Nat was really upset about that. She didn't say a word the entire trip back to out safe house and I heard her crying at night. I then got her to open up more and we got closer together in our friendship.

'Who else signed?' Steve asked.

'Tony, Rhodey, Vision.' She said.

'Clint?'

'Says he's retired.'

'Wanda?' 

'TBD.'

'What about Mia?' He asked.

'She didn't sign but I don't know where she is.' She said.

'What do you mean?' He asked.

'I dunno. I tried to call her but she didn't pick up. I hope she's not off the grid.' She said.

'She won't do that. She might've just gone somewhere to clear her head.' he said and she nodded.

'I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet.' 

'Just because it's the path of least resistance, doesn't mean that it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together.' She said.

'What are we giving up to do it? I'm sorry Nat. I can't sign it.' Steve said.

'I know.'

'Then what are you doing here?'

'I didn't want you to be alone.' she said and brought him into a hug. I waited for him outside. Once he was out, he looked better. Suddenly, Sharon came up to him and they started talking. I went to the hotel I was staying at for the day and met Sam there.

'Hey.' I said.

'Hey. What are you doing here?' He asked, hugging me.

'Nothing much. heard about what happened and decided to come here.' I said and he nodded. I was looking at the news and suddenly it showed that there was a bombing during the ratifying of the Accords. 

'Sam.' I called him.

'Find Steve.' I said and he nodded. 

Steve's POV:

'My mom tried to talk me out of enlisting. But, um, not Aunt Peggy.' Sharon said as we walked in the hotel.

'She bought me my first thigh holster.' She said.

'Very practical.' 

'And stylish.' She said as she pressed the button to the lift. 

'CIA has you stationed over here now?' I asked. 

'Berlin. Joint Terrorism Task Force.' She said and I nodded. 

'Right. Sounds fun.' I said. 

'I've been meaning to ask you. When you were spying on me from across the hall.' 

'You mean when I was doing my job.' She said.

'Did Peggy know?' I asked. 

'She kept so many secrets. I didn't want her to have one from you.' She said and the elevator dinged.

'Thanks for walking me back.'

'Sure.' I said. Suddenly, Sam called me to see something. We went to the main area and I saw Mia there. She was watching the news. 

'Mia?' I asked and she turned around.

'Look at this.' She said, pointing at the news and reversing it so I could see the entire story.

'A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 40 people have been injured. Almost 12 are dead, including Wakanda's Kind T'Chaka. Officials have release a video of a suspect who they had identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Solider.' The news anchor said and I clenched my jaw. I could feel both Mia's and Sam's gaze on me. 

'We have to go to Vienna.' Mia said and I nodded. 

'Let's get out of here.' She said. 

-X-X-X-X-X-

Word Count: 1125 Words