.20.

When they got to the hospital, Hopper felt hopeful for the first time in years; he just hoped Brenner had stayed true to his promise and left his daughter alone

When they got to the hospital, Hopper felt hopeful for the first time in years; he just hoped Brenner had stayed true to his promise and left his daughter alone. But when the boys showed up, broken and lost without the girls, Hopper felt his knees give way. They didn't have to say it - he knew, of course, he knew because if she was anything like him then he would've done the same. It was cruel, really but fair. He finally brought Will back home and because of that, there was no way the world would let him keep his home.

"Chief?" An unsteady, raspy voice called from down the hall. He had perhaps been in the same position for half an hour now - the doctors passed but no one knew quite what to do.

"Chief?" He called to him again and Hopper reluctantly looked his way.

"What, Mike?"

"I-I just wanted to um... say that..." He trailed off.

"Spit it out, kid," Hopper pressed, unforgivingly.

"She meant something to me too," Mike said attempting to stay strong but Hopper saw right through him. He stayed silent, not exactly knowing what to say. The man just hadn't expected him to say that.

"I'm sorry, kid," He exhaled, standing up, "I can't do this right now." Mike couldn't utter another word before Hopper had left the hospital and then both of them, for the same reason, felt so utterly alone and the one person that could get that had just left.

Outside, Hopper barely even felt the cold as he tried to ignore the tears forming and he looked up into the deep midnight, "You know, that's really not fair, Sarah."

He took out a packet from his pocket and lit one of the cigarettes, "Yeah, that's really not fair, sweetheart."

But then a car pulled up to the side of him and somehow a little sign of that hope came back. He just hoped it wouldn't be wasted but then again, he'd do anything to get to his daughter again.