.16.

After calling up Mr Clarke, Dustin constructed a list of everything they needed for the sensory deprivation tank - including a boatload of salt

After calling up Mr Clarke, Dustin constructed a list of everything they needed for the sensory deprivation tank - including a boatload of salt. That's why 20 minutes later, they arrived at Hawkins Middle.

"I meant it when I said we would finish this later," Hopper told his daughter as the boy from the morgue left to go put more salt in the gym. Five just nodded and waited for him to continue. "You said before that I gave you to... them," He sucked in a harsh breath, "I didn't, alright? I thought you were dead, Sarah. If I ever thought you were somewhere out there I wouldn't stop for a minute to find you. And for whoever the Papa guy is - he isn't your dad. I am."

"Oh," She exhaled, "I know."

"You know? You know what?" Hopper quirked his eyebrow.

"That Papa isn't you," Five apprised, "I saw you."

"You saw me? Kid, please stop being so vague. You're killing me," He sighed.

"In the void, I saw you and woman," Five up to her father, "And then I saw you - we spoke... do you not remember?"

Hopper stopped what he was doing and crouched down to her, "Of course I do, I thought I was losing it completely."

"Loosing what?" She laughed.

"My mind, sweetheart," He chuckled too, "That's what happens when a voice that appears but comes from nowhere means."

"Oh."

The pair stayed silent for a moment before Five told him, "I don't like water."

"Hm?" Hopper frowned.

"Last time I was in the water - bad things happened," Five let out a shaky breath, "I don't want that to happen again." The father continued to stare at the girl as she began to cry softly, "I don't want to hurt anyone again."

"Hey, listen, you're not going to hurt anyone, alright?" Hopper put his hand on her cheek, "You're going to save them."

"Like Jedi?" She smiled through her tears.

"Yeah, sure, kid. Like Jedi," Hopper chuckled, "Plus I'll be there the whole time - I'm not leaving you, again."

-

"This will keep it dark for you both," Shakily, Joyce handed the girls and pair of blacked-out goggles, "Just like in your bathtub." Five and Eleven, just looked down at the plastic before Joyce began to speak again.

"You two are very brave girls," She smiled, gratefully, "You know that, don't you? Everything you're doing for my boy... for Will... for my family. Thank you."

Both girls returned the smile, which urged Joyce to grab a hold of one of each of their hands, "Listen, I'm going to be there the whole time and if it gets too scary i-in that place, just let me know, okay?"

"Yes," Eleven spoke up for the both of them, before getting up and leaving the classroom.

"You ready?" Joyce asked the remaining girl but frowned when she shook her head. "What's the matter?"

"Scared," Five whimpered, "Want to save Will and Barbara but... scared."

The mother sighed and leaned closer to the girl, "Fear is good - even though it feels bad, okay?"

"Fear good?"

"Yes, it keeps you going, alert," She informed, "And my boy, in that place, is scared too but he's running out of time." Five nodded, "When you're in that tank, you're not alone... you're never alone."

After a moment of silence, Five felt the need to reveal a secret, "I spied on you."

"What?" Joyce chuckled, "What does that mean?"

"In the void, I was looking for Hop and I found him - he was with you and boy," She shyly spoke, "You were shouting at man, you were upset. I shouldn't have looked, I'm sorry."

"Oh, honey, it's okay," She took a hold of her hands once more, "You were just looking for your dad. I'm not mad, I promise."

"Promise," Five smiled back, before slamming into Joyce's chest - surprising her with a hug.

"Oh, okay," She laughed, "You're such a sweet girl, Sarah... or Five, which one do you prefer?"

She thought for a moment and pulled away, "F-five."

"That's okay," Joyce stood up, "Are you ready, Five?"